Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clipping Masks: Using adjustment layers to affect only the layer below

Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to use an adjustment layer - it goes directly over the layer I'm editing and I'm able to edit the colour (such as hue etc). The trouble is, anything below that adjustment layer then gets affected. Is there any way I am able to make this adjustment layer exclusive to a partuclar layer?

Ideally then in that sitation I'd be able to have a bitmap layer using a vector mask (for example, a cut out tree) and then using an adjustment layer to change the colour of the tree.

Hope I've explained it well enough, it's a bit confusing.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Hold down alt and click between the adjustment layer and the layer you need affecting in the layers palette.

Thats the quick shortcut!
[Moderator note: To learn more, see https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/revealing-layers-clipping-masks.html]

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok found out - it's "create clipping mask" and this makes the adjustment layer only affect the one below. I suppose then you could group the layers so you can manage the order better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down alt and click between the adjustment layer and the layer you need affecting in the layers palette.

Thats the quick shortcut!
[Moderator note: To learn more, see https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/revealing-layers-clipping-masks.html]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2024 Feb 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This only puts an arrow next to the layer.  It doesn't stop edits from efecting other layers.

This dosn't work.  Why does Adobe have to make 20 steps to do a simeplr thing when all other programs can do it in 2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes!  This is the answer i was looking for - thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2024 Feb 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(the shortcut doesn't work for me... "create clipping mask" needs to be done manually on my computer)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2010 Nov 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new to CS5, but find that if I create an adjustment layer from the "Adjustments" window I automatically get the chain link icon in the layers window showing the two layers linked, then the adjustment only affects the layer below.   However, if you use Layer|New Adjustment Layer|Levels (for example) then you have the option to use previous layer as a clipping mask if you tick that box it is linked just to the previous layer, left unchecked it affects all layers below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ALT click is a winner!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having same problem 12 years later. propagate frames does nothing. adjustment layers should be key framable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this is confusing.  For all the tools, if you select only one layer, only one will be effected.  However when adding adustments, this is rule dosn't apply.  This is just another screw up of the trerible incompedent programmers at Adobe.  They like to do the oposite of standards just to make the program harder than it needs to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 16, 2023 Dec 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, everything "under the hood" at Adobe seems really good, but the user interface seems deliberately designed to be as user-unfriendly, unintuitive and obscure as possible, not just in Photoshop but in pretty much all the Creative Cloud suite. It's really frustrating, and doesn't make sense as a business model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because Adobe hates their users.  Their main goal is to make a terible work flow then buy out and close down the competitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have had this proble for several years.  Everything posted on Adobe Community is wrong as always.  Google search is never a help.  The only way to effect only one layer witought taking 20 steps is to deleate Adobe and use a different software.  Almost all editing softwares can do this with only a simle step or two.  They are also cheaper and will have a significanly better work flow.  Any non-Adobe software will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines