• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clone Stamp Tool has Strange Behavior

Engaged ,
Jan 22, 2018 Jan 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally when using the clone stamp tool, after I select a source region on my image and begin to drag toward the target region, the source is painted into the target. However, on this startup of Photoshop, when I hold down the left mouse button, a white disc appears within my brush, and no 'painting' takes place. I have tried (a) resetting Photoshop tool settings, and (b) shutting down and restarting my iMacS High Sierra 10.13.2. Nothing helps.

any ideas appreciated as always,

jwc

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Engaged , Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Hello, Dave,

Forcing me actually to look at the layers panel ‘broke the code’ for me. I was trying to do the cloning within an adjustment. Reverting to the background panel cleared the ‘white disc' problem.\

Best,

jwc

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Apr 16, 2020 Apr 16, 2020

Hi,

I have the same problem! i just found the problem!

Simply go to Window-Clone Source and untick INVERT (in the bottom right)

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

I tried all of the above suggestions but discovered in the end that my layer order was the problem - I was trying to clone out something that was above the clone layer. On the upside, I learned a bit more about PS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

I had this problem today and was losing my mind.  I went through each solution, none of them worked.  I created a new image and found the clone tool worked.  I then compared the two images and noticed that the image where the clone tool didn't work was "locked" and was named Background double clicking on the padlock requested a name for a new layer (Layer 0) and once I had done that, the clone tool worked as expected, no more white disc...

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

I had the same issue - feathery white brush instead of the sampled pixels. I also noticed that my layer selection in the layer panel was red instead of usual bright gray. Turns out I had Quick Mask mode on (the button below the foreground/background color that looks like the Japanese flag if the Quick Mask is on or EU flag if it's off). Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I second what Dave said about remote access. And I would add to that to be careful even about giving Adobe remote access. If you happen to contact Adobe phone support, not all of the support people are knowledgable and I know of instances where they have wrecked havoc with customer computers using remote access. Remote access should be a last resort, and even then I'd advise making a backup of your computer before doing so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2022 Jun 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem today and was losing my mind.  I went through each solution, none of them worked.  I created a new image and found the clone tool worked.  I then compared the two images and noticed that the image where the clone tool didn't work was "locked" and was named Background double clicking on the padlock requested a name for a new layer (Layer 0) and once I had done that, the clone tool worked as expected, no more white disc...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue - feathery white brush instead of the sampled pixels. I also noticed that my layer selection in the layer panel was red instead of usual bright gray. Turns out I had Quick Mask mode on (the button below the foreground/background color that looks like the Japanese flag if the Quick Mask is on or EU flag if it's off). Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2023 Feb 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Tunnery Wharf thank you for sharing your solution! I love your descriptions of quick mask, will adopt them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines