• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clouds filter and other filters unavailable at higher resolution?

Mentor ,
Oct 14, 2022 Oct 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today at work I was given a ~36000x35242 px image and I needed to apply a quick cloud and twirl effect.

But to my surprise both options are greyed out and disabled.

Now, I've been working with Photoshop for a LONG time, and --granted-- I prefer to do my image editing/comping in other apps nowadays, and perhaps this was always the case, but: since when is it not possible to apply the cloud and distort filters (and a bunch of other ones) to images with pixel dimensions beyond ~30000x30000 pixels?

I've done some testing, and it seems that a number of distort filters (like Twirl) stop working at an even lower resolution. In short, I couldn't finish the work in Photoshop, so I used PhotoLine instead, and imported the PSD into Photoshop.

The disabled Clouds filter I could have potentially worked around by creating a lower resolution image and then copying that into the higher resolution image. But really? In this day and age? Why do I have to switch to a small competitor to add a cloud or twirl effect to an image with a resolution that is quite common nowadays?

On the other hand, Liquify was really smooth to work with at this resolution because it seems to be graphics hardware accelerated and modernized to deal with higher resolution images.

Often Photoshop feels like this pot-pourri of legacy limitations from the 90s intermixed with modern AI features.

In any case: is anyone aware of an option to unlock these filters at higher resolutions?

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often Photoshop feels like this pot-pourri of legacy limitations from the 90s intermixed with modern AI features.

I am neither an Adobe employee nor programmer, but considering (for example) the Radial Blur dialog I feel fairly confident in agreeing with this assessment.

The Clouds-issue could be worked-around otherwise, I guess. 

It creates seamless tiles at pixel dimensions that are whole-number multiples of 512, so a seamless Pattern can easily be created and used as a Pattern Layer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It amazes me that Photoshop still doesn't offer an improved fractal noise generator of some kind and users have to rely on third-party plugins such as FilterForge to access these.

I mean, even a simple clouds option with actual control parameters is such low hanging fruit, it defies comprehension why in 25 years no-one at the PS dev department ever realized this could potentially be a super useful thing to have. Just look at Substance Designer or After Effects. Or just about any other image editor out there.

Pretty sure the average Photoshop user would relish a simple controllable (Gasp!) Clouds filter like this one in PhotoLine:

rayekelfin_0-1665768367884.png

Not too much to ask for, right? But noooo...

Sorry for the rant. Just blowing off some steam. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally I don’t like reading rants on this Forum, alas, I think you are not wrong. 

BUT … please write a Feature Request (mark it »Idea«) to make sure it will register at Adobe. 

Make your case calmly, post screenshots/mock-ups to illustrate, … and hopefully some other Photoshop users will add their »votes«. 

No number of votes guarantees implementation, as far as I can tell, but that is the way to communicate one’s wishes to the Photoshop team. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 15, 2022 Oct 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most of these filters are the old original ones, when image size was much smaller, so they don't work with higher res images. I would be great to have them updated. It is something a lot of us have mentioned to Adobe, with limited results. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines