Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Dodge not working in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2017 Apr 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dodge.jpg

I've noticed the layers Color Dodge blend mode in Photoshop CC 2017.1 isn't working as it used to. For example in the graphic above, the white orb layer on the left is set to Color Dodge but appears the same as when set to Normal. It should look like the one on the right.

But when I use the white radial gradient tool (in Color Dodge mode) directly on the Background layer, it works fine! It also works fine in Illustrator.

Any thoughts?!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2017 Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it here and a white gradient over black shows when in normal blending mode but does not when in color dodge. This is as expected.

Note -  this was in RGB mode (tried both 8 and 16 bit) on Windows 10 and an AMD 7970 graphics card in with GPU set to advanced

Normal:

Color dodge:

Have you tried changing the GPU settings (Off - Advanced /Normal/Basic) to see if that makes any difference?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

That background I used is actually a 90% grey, not black. As yes, a white over black in Color Dodge mode will disappear as you've shown.

I tried something whereby i merged the white gradient layer with the dark grey layer and then put in Color Dodge mode back over another flat grey background and it display correctly!! See below.

dodge.jpg

It seems that if a layer has transparency, the Color Dodge mode will not work?!

And changing the GPU settings makes no difference.

Bob.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi trevor. Yes, that works now! Thanks!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2021 May 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking "Transparency Shapes Layer" works for a layer but doesn't seem to work for a group- is there a way to have a group set to colour dodge?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.
I'm having the same bug.
Initially, this bug has been occurring since Photoshop 2015.5.
I was able to get the same effect by unchecking the transparent shape layer, but in recent versions, when I reopen the file, it goes back to being checked.

I have reported the same bug many times, but there is no sign that it will ever be fixed.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/photoshop-color-dodge-bug/idc-p/12272738#M38...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to bring this up on the feedback site.  No Adobe employees will see it here

Adobe Photoshop Family

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Trevor

The Adobe feedback site is closed, bugs are reported on this community now

2021-11-16 09_51_05-Window.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines