Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Management in Photoshop with an Eizo monitor

Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

After changing my main monitor for an Eizo CG2730, I'm struggling to find the best color management settings in Photoshop so as to avoid the profile non matching window whenever I go from LR to PS. here are my current settings: https://d.pr/i/IEdzkz (sorry, it's in French). Shall I change to AdobeRGB instead ?

Thank you in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

The monitor profile is never selected automatically as working space - unless you deliberately choose to disable all color management (which obviously you shouldn't).

Reset your color settings to default, by picking one of the general purpose presets. This should set either sRGB or Adobe RGB as working space.

Color management policies should always be set to "Preserve Embedded Profiles". This is the default; don't change it. Then the embedded document profile will always override the working

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Aug 08, 2022 Aug 08, 2022

Don't use that preset! Use one of the "general purpose" presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you don't set the monitor profile as working space in Photoshop. Never do that - it turns off all color management.

In fact, you don't do anything, except run ColorNavigator with the calibration targets you decide for white point and black point. Once the monitor is calibrated to these targets, ColorNavigator writes a profile which is automatically set up at system level where it belongs. You don't do anything.

For color management to work, it needs a document profile and a monitor profile. One is converted into the other. You need both. All color management requires two profiles, a source and a destination. One is converted into the other. A single profile is one hand clapping.

The document profile needs to be a standard color space - sRGB, Adobe RGB, ProPhoto. Never the monitor profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your quick help.

Just to make sure because I didn't state it: I actually didn't change anything in the color settings: the monitor profile was selected automatically. In the light of what you wrote, shall I go ahead and change it back to AdobeRGB, which is how I export my TIFF files from Lightroom ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The monitor profile is never selected automatically as working space - unless you deliberately choose to disable all color management (which obviously you shouldn't).

Reset your color settings to default, by picking one of the general purpose presets. This should set either sRGB or Adobe RGB as working space.

Color management policies should always be set to "Preserve Embedded Profiles". This is the default; don't change it. Then the embedded document profile will always override the working space.

color.png

Even if you have sRGB as working, the files from Lightroom will open as Adobe RGB, because that's what the embedded profile from Lightroom is. That's what "preserve embedded" means.

The crucial setting is color management policies. If you turn it all off, it sets the monitor profile as working RGB; and vice versa, if you set your monitor profile as working RGB, it sets policies to "off". Either way, same result: all color management is turned off and disabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to default back to my monitor's profile whenever I apply the default setting "couleurs à l'écran": https://d.pr/i/6kWzpw

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't use that preset! Use one of the "general purpose" presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2022 Aug 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with D. Fosse

"don't set the monitor profile as working space in Photoshop. Never do that - it turns off all color management."

Maybe have a read of this: https://www.colourmanagement.net/advice/about-icc-colour-profiles/

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to view this:

See: http://digitaldog.net/files/PhotoshopColorSettings.mp4
Photoshop CC Color Settings and Assign/Convert to Profile video

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines