• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color profile seems to not work in Chrome / iOS

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both Chrome and iOS devices such as iPad / iPhone display the tones quite a bit differently (the lifted blacks for example), as shown in this screenshot of Chrome next to Photoshop. I've saved with the profile embedded, so I'm confused about what is causing the issue.

Any tips? I was hoping Instagram / iOS would at least be somewhat predictable and match the edits.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's even more confusing to me, is that the screenshot displays the Photoshop edit's tones properly in Chrome haha... there must be something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't sound wrong. The phone is not colour managed and so it just takes the RGB values you send and uses whatever R, G, B it wants. A screen shot captures this and you probably put back the same profile on your computer - you see what you sent. What exactly is the profile you used, and embedded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird thanks! I would have expected most devices to be color managed to at least some kind of standard these days.

For the photo I just checked the ICC Profile: Adobe RGB 1998 checkbox when saving the jpegs. I'm still confused about the screenshot, maybe if anything I need to change the profile in Photoshop so it matches closer to what I see outside of Photoshop, even if it's just "close enough" I'm not sure. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps a better question is what *is* actually color managed? haha, if mainstream devices aren't, are the standards only for professionals?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A few years ago we thought colour management would sort all this out. Now it seems nobody cares except publishing professionals. And indeed not: go to a TV store and you'll see the consumer (is believed to) prefer unnatural oversaturated colours. 

Many consumer devices are close to sRGB; this is considered the web standard to design to. "Close enough". Except for people who foolishly buy wide gamut monitors without understanding the consequences...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can actually color manage ios devices but it takes some hardware and software similar to what's used in larger Desktop computers.  Here's a link to a company that handles this very well.  

https://calibrite.com/

This should allow you to color manage your devices and get good coorelation between desktop and mobile...So long as they are in the same environment.   Change that and your eye's adapted white will be different and so will the appearance of whatever you are viewing.   Hopefully that helps!

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines