• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color shift on image when exporting PNG>Smaller File (8-Bit)

Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone having issues with image quality when right clicking on layer and exporting as PNG>Smaller File (8-Bit)? With the latest update, the image quality changes drastically and makes it unusable. Never had an issue with this before. 

Software - Photoshop 22.5.0
OS - macOS Big Sure Version 11.5.2

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be clear, you see this color difference IN Photoshop or another application after saving? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it in the preview when saving and then it looks even worse when exported. Mostly noticeable on skin tones. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Need to see a screen capture of the settings/preview. And after export, you are reopening in Photoshop or something else?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a problem. Please see attached files of the export in the standard settings vs 8bit settings. After the export, I'm reopening in preview and in photoshop and both are displaying the same result. I know there's compression with 8-bit, but to my knowledge it's never been as bad as this. Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well your first problem is NOT embedding sRGB as seen in the third screen capture. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately tried the export checking/unchecking embedding sRGB and still got the same results

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well keep the setting on. 

Next, if possible, upload one original and one finished PNG/JPEG so we can test  on our end. 

Edit: does this happen with all documents, even flattened ones? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It seems Export is going from bad to worse in terms of color management. There's definitely something wrong here, but I can't quite figure out the pattern yet.

It now shows the image without color management at all, when "convert to sRGB" is checked. It doesn't seem to matter whether the original is sRGB or Adobe RGB or whatever. Uncheck "convert", and it displays correctly (or so it seems).

This makes absolutely zero sense and I need to look more closely at this.

Use Save For Web instead of Export for now. That's what I've been doing the whole time. SFW still works correctly and reliably. There's always been something wrong with Export's color management (but this was a new one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ryanb68870300 wrote:

After the export, I'm reopening in preview and in photoshop and both are displaying the same result.

And you've got a wide gamut display on that Mac? There you go if so; gotta embed that sRGB profile. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines