• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors of the edited image looks different on Mac and Iphone, comparing to the same image on Photoshop and Web.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys!

Desperately need your help on this one. So I edited my pictures, saved them (tried both "save as" and "save for web" options) on my Mac and colors aren't just there, same situation when I open those images on the Iphone. They look desaturated or something (please take a look, I made screenshots of how it looks in photoshop before saving and the other one is the same picture saved and opened with Preview). The tricky part is that when I upload the same pictures on a facebook or instagram and look at them using web browser on the same laptop - the colors are exactly as I intended them to be while editing on Photoshop. This drives me crazy, please advise on how this can be fixed.

Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 12.07.23.pngScreen Shot 2017-11-11 at 12.08.30.pngPhotoshop General Discussion

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Hi

You write:

Does that mean the problem is with devices I use (all Apple devices in general)? Is that can be fixed somehow?”

Yes, but if your main computer screen is properly colourmanaged [vital] and you save files as sRGB, images should look fine on iPad and iPhone.

Wide gamut screens throw a spanner into the works for web viewing with non colourmanaged browsers. Currently that seems unfixable.

In the save for web windows you show, the lower one looks right because you selected use document pro

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2024 Mar 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, 

Hoping you are well. I have been struggling with the issue of color management. I recently started using a MacBook Pro M1 to edit my pictures on photoshop but noticed that they look different from the way they look on the MacBook as compared to the iPhone look. On the MacBook they look as I intended them to look in photoshop when editing but when transferred on the iPhone the picture becomes a little washed out in color. 

Please advise on what I can do as I have tried working on the sRGB color profile on photoshop and still nothing changes. 

I have noticed the MacBook Dispaly in settings has a color profile selection that has to be done so not sure if this should match the photoshop one also. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2019 Apr 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems like it should be easy but it is not, but i know one thing is for-sure just clicking srgb isn't the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bottom line is this: You have no idea what it's ACTUALLY going to look like on OTHER peoples' devices. The whole idea behind color management profiles is to hopefully have a standard to aim for. But you have no control over whether someone else's brightness on the computer screen or device is turned up or down, whether they've got True Tone or Night Mode turned on (on an Apple phone or iPad), and whether or not their screen left the factory exactly matching your screen. Or if they dropped their phone in the toilet or whatever and now something renders images slightly different on their end regardless of software attempting to match a profile. 
As the others have REPEATEDLY stated, but you seem to ignore with your repeated questioning, not all browsers or websites or devices will do anything with an embedded color management profile even when given those instructions. Maybe they "should" but the point is moot. Images are NOT always going to look identical across an array of many devices. Accept this fact and this problem maybe won't bother you so much. Both of the photos you posted look fine. 99% of people viewing won't see or care about the subtle differences. YOU do because it's YOUR photo and YOU have an idea in YOUR head of how it's "supposed" to look. Other people don't know what the original scene looked like. They weren't there, they have no reference point and it still looks good. I seems like you're obsessing over minor differences in how it gets displayed and you'll NEVER be able to control that on ALL DEVICES. It's out of your control for many reasons. Just enjoy the photo and let others enjoy it, too. 
if you really want to drive yourself nuts, let's talk about color dye-couplers used in clothing materials. Our eyes can see the enhancement those dyes make but camera sensors and film can not record the same gamut range so some articles of clothing will never be recorded accurately!  Oh, the horror!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tirmite, you make some excellent points there about device differences.

AND youre right that image makers should not be over concerned with others viewing their images (unless, of course, those others are paying the bill).

I feel it's worth mentioning, though, that IF, say, night mode is active ALL images on the user's machine are darker, maybe yellower, so they get used to it to some extent.

It never ceases to amaze me to see super-bright super-saturated colours some TV's are set  to, but of course, the viewers get used to it. [makes the real world seem a bit drab!!]

The producers of broadcast content just can't worry about those who like their screens set to "vivid"etc.

Those broadcasters still spend a fortune on reference displays and their calibration - also on the process of grading image appearance.

I would suggest that an image creator should not give up on attempting accuracy, working on a well-calibrated screen and saving images as sRGB [profile embedded] goes a long way to helping those images survive other people's equipment in my experience. 

Just my 2p

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer:: co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2023 Oct 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG20230930155733.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Nitesh32682532tll6 HI, please give us some info? what are you after?

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
Help others by clicking "Correct Answer" if the question is answered.
Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines