• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Colors rendering different in MAC and Win 11

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, have you notice that in Windows 11 colors are more contrasty then in MAC OS.

If I open the same image in my iPad, iPhone and Mac Pro they perfectly match. But the same image adjusted in Windows 11 once seen on a Apple device looks washed. Above we can prove it.

How can we solve that?

colors_mac_pc.jpg

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

No, that's a total misunderstanding.

You don't understand how color management works. There is a continuous profile conversion going on as you work. The numbers are converted from the document profile and into the monitor profile. For this conversion, Photoshop uses the monitor profile it gets from the operating system.

If you're not using a calibrator to profile your display, on each system, you will have different system monitor profiles installed. None of them will be correct!

The moni

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Dec 05, 2022 Dec 05, 2022

Guys,
I am grateful for your help, but this is a discussion forum, sorry if at first I disagreed with the God of color management. I don't know him and this is really new to me. I already had a monitor calibrator and spent money for nothing. In Apple computers absolutely nothing has changed, because the monitors are already calibrated at the factory. Perhaps this makes more sense on Windows. I insist again, color consistency between Apple devices without any calibration is amazing. No matter th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you calibrated your devices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can we solve that?

By @Ricardo CGI

As Derek says.

This is basic color management, it has nothing to do with platform.

• the document color profile must be embedded. Never work with untagged files
  • make sure you have an accurate monitor profile. The only way to get that is using a calibrator, which makes a profile based on actual measurement
  • use a color managed application

Those are the three basic links in a working color management chain. When all three are present and working, the image will display correctly. And when it is correct, it will look the same everywhere.

On phones and tablets you only get basic and generic color management. There's no way you can measure the display, so the devices use a standard one size fits all profile. No doubt Apple made sure their units behave in a consistent way, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's correct. You need a calibrator for that, whether Mac or Windows.

colornavigator_01.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the same monitor for the Mac and PC, there's no need for calibration. It seems to be related to the gamma applyed to the color management of each system. I've seem a lot people complaining about over the internet, so that's a common issue I guess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do need to calibrate your monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color calibration will work if you want consistency between multiple devices. In my case I'm using the same monitor, and both systems should read the buit-in generic profile for this particularly monitor. That's behaving all acrossd the board not only within PS in Win 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's a total misunderstanding.

You don't understand how color management works. There is a continuous profile conversion going on as you work. The numbers are converted from the document profile and into the monitor profile. For this conversion, Photoshop uses the monitor profile it gets from the operating system.

If you're not using a calibrator to profile your display, on each system, you will have different system monitor profiles installed. None of them will be correct!

The monitor profile doesn't do anything. It doesn't adjust the display. It's just a standard icc profile like any other icc profile. It's a map. Like any map, it has to correspond to the actual terrain. It has to describe the monitor's actual and current response in its actual and current state. The monitor profile is installed at operating system level.

If the monitor profile is wrong, the profile conversion gives the wrong result, and Photoshop can't display correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ricardoc

D Fosse is a world-class expert in color management – have a bit of humility and listen to his advice.

Regards,

Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using the same monitor for the Mac and PC, there's no need for calibration.

By @Ricardo CGI

That's incorrect! 

You can hook the same display up to a dozen different machines and can and should expect a difference because there is more to all this than just the display! There is an entire display path. You MUST hook up the display to differing machines AND calibrate to the same targets to even expect them to preview the same numbers the same way. And it begs the question, you'd visually compare when you're using one display on multiple displays. The only way to come to such a conclusion would be to calibrate and measure a set of multiple colors with either a Colorimeter or, better, a Spectroradiometer, jot down the numbers, move the display to another computer, and calibrate and measure again. Then compare the colorimetric values. Clearly, you haven't done that. The 'idea' if I can be so kind, that 'there's no need for calibration" indicates you need to ask a question here, then listen to the correct replies from those who know how this works and could help you.... 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew (the Digital Dog) is also a world-class expert too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys,
I am grateful for your help, but this is a discussion forum, sorry if at first I disagreed with the God of color management. I don't know him and this is really new to me. I already had a monitor calibrator and spent money for nothing. In Apple computers absolutely nothing has changed, because the monitors are already calibrated at the factory. Perhaps this makes more sense on Windows. I insist again, color consistency between Apple devices without any calibration is amazing. No matter the device, overall the colors are perfectly displayed consistently. But anyway, thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Guys,
I am grateful for your help, but this is a discussion forum, sorry if at first I disagreed with the God of color management. I don't know him and this is really new to me. I already had a monitor calibrator and spent money for nothing. In Apple computers absolutely nothing has changed, because the monitors are already calibrated at the factory. Perhaps this makes more sense on Windows. I insist again, color consistency between Apple devices without any calibration is amazing. No matter the device, overall the colors are perfectly displayed consistently. But anyway, thanks for your help.

By @Ricardo CGI

Ok, you're really lost here in understanding the facts, the basic facts of color management. There is nothing more anyone can do for you until you accept, from actual experts in this topic, how this all works. 

That *some* Apple displays are calibrated at the factory (not IN Apple computers) doesn't alter the fact that moving them to Windows and those differing display paths will produce differing output from the same numbers.

So when you are ready to listen to how this works, come back again in the future and post. There is absolutely nothing wrong here with Photoshop, based on what you've told us. 

You are of course, entitled to your uninformed opinions on this subject. I, as well as others, are simply pointing out that the opinion was formed without facts, science/data, or critical thinking. 

How can 'we' slove this? The question should be, how can you: listen and accept the correct answers.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines