Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining groups with same name

Explorer ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I have received many useful scripts from posting on this forums and today I am asking for help with a new one. I work on CGIs that require groups with masks for most of the elements in my render. This allows me to edit the individual elements easily. I have a script that imports all the groups and applies the correct masks from the .tif files I receive from rendering and it looks like this:

query 1.JPG

My problem is when I have to make changes or update an image and update these masks while keeping the adjustment layers within in them the same.

When I make changes to a CGI my process at the moment is to use my mask script again to import the new groups with the updated masks which leaves me with 2 sets of groups with masks. So 2x 'Doors', 2x 'WindowFrames' etc:

query 2.JPG

This is all fine until I now have to manually move all the layers from the out-of-date (for example) 'Doors' group to the new empty 'Doors' group with the same name. Is there a script that can move all the layers within the groups for me automatically?

This might not sound like much, but if I could do this via a script it would save me a lot of time on a weekly basis.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if I need to explain further.

Kind regards,

Dan

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is giving you problems specifically? 

If you hope others will do the work for you please provide a set of sample files at least. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have probably misunderstood my post.

I am after a script to help me merge groups with the same name on multiple projects, not help with doing it once on a single file.

I'm looking for a scipt to help me avoid manually moving all the layers from 1 group to another multiplied by 20 for every file.

If this is still not clear, please let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you have probably misunderstood my post.

No, but laoding the Layer Masks via oneScript and then using another Script to merge the Groups seems inefficient to me. 

Please provide a sample set of files (the existing layered image and the new images that should replace the layer masks) for the task you want to automate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not a problem, thank you for your help.

I've had to remove everything apart from the layers to keep the photoshop file size down, and use wetransfer as the maximum file attachment size on here is 47MB:

https://we.tl/t-DqRoqC4Nxg 

I have included the script I use to import and apply the masks to the groups from the .tif files as well.

Please let me know if you need anything else, and if anything is unclear. 

Thanks for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the files and sorry, work has picked up a bit and I might not be able to look into this before the weekend. 

Maybe one of the other regulars will be able to chime in sooner. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines