Complimentary colors in photoshop

New Here ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the color wheel in photoshop it is the RGB color wheel if you look across from Red you will see cyan.  If you look at the color wheel in adobe cc, although it doesn't say it is actually the RYB color wheel where across from Red is Green.  The question is which color wheel should be used and when.  I have my opinions but not sure if they are correct which is based on the fact that RYB is a subtractive color system where RGB is an additive system.  My guess is that adobe CC uses the RYB color wheel to produce pallettes because the assumption is that the final product will be printed and thus the subtractive method makes sense and in the subtractive system Red and green are compliments and have the largest impact.  I believe in the subtractive system adding compliments tend towards greys/black.  However my question relates to blending colors in photoshop for operations such as removing color casts, in this case we are mixing colors purely in an additive system and it seems to me that we should use complements from the rgb model (hence use cyan to counter red).  100% green 100% blue and 0% red result in cyan,   In this system blending colors moves towards whiate.   It has been pointed out ins several sources to get the compliment of a color either subtract or add 180 to the hue in the hue saturation brightness model to get the compliment (hence cyan is across from red).  Does this make sense or is there a better explanation.  Also is there a better place for this topic

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC is the general name for Creative Cloud and all the apps and services in it. What do you mean specifically by "Adobe CC" in your question?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2022 Jun 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I mant adobe Color the adobe site with the color wheel 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should provide a screen capture of whatever color wheel product you're referring to but Photoshop is doing this correctly; the 'opposite' of red is cyan.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May not have been clear in my past question: Based on my conversation above, photoshop is using the RGB model (additive color model), Adobe Color(Color wheel, a color palette generator | Adobe Color) I believe was created to replace the Kuler color wheel in older versions of photoshop.  It can be used to make color swatches based on different color harmony rules such as complimenty colors but it appears to use the RYB model vs RGB.  I am just trying to confirm that if you are going to be printing something and using complimentry, anologus or other color harmony rules the correct thing to use is the RYB model (adobe color swatches)  since it is subtractive and physical media usually relies on subtractive systems such as RYB and CYM, but if you are going to be mixing colors digitally the RGB (in photoshop)  model should be used since digital media is based on the additive RGB model.  Hence if I am producing a print the maximum color contrast for a red subject would be a green background (from adobe color), but if I am correcting color cast of a red in a subject in photoshop I should use cyan as the compliment.as indicated in photoshop. Both the adobe Color Web site and photoshop are adobe products and from what I can tell are both meant to be used with photoshop I am just trying to understand when one Color system (RGB vs RYB)  should be used vs the other.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're printing from RGB, all that you need to worry about is an appropriate ICC output profile which may produce output RGB or output CMYK, and if RGB, the print driver will handle conversions to whatever it needs (perhaps CcMmYKO etc). 

There are very, very few true RGB printers (Lightjet, Lambda using lasers or light values, Film Recorders etc). Just stick with Photoshop's correct implementation which again, shows cyan is the 'opposite' of red. 

Histograms too. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Last time I checked, Adobe Color was not color managed. It doesn't have a reference. The actual color is undefined.

Adobe has a long and seemingly inexplicable tradition for not implementing color management in their web-oriented products. It's really odd because web browsers have had full color management for years. Until very recently, even Photoshop's Export module had all color management completely disabled by default.

You're comparing 56.2 grams with a handful. Which is bigger? It can't be determined because one is undefined. A color wheel is undefined. You can expand and contract each color band as you wish, and so different colors would end up opposite.

A color space specifies the numbers as colors. A set of numbers will yield different colors in sRGB and Adobe RGB.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a result of how color spaces are specified. 255-0-0 is the complementary to 0-255-255 - in whatever color space those numbers apply. That's a 180 degree shift on the Hue slider.

In Lab, which is what all color management refers to, swapping positive and negative values in the a and b channels will give you "opposite" or "complementary" hues.

Those two things operate on different precision levels. A color wheel is a generic model of maximum saturation hues. Color spaces are stringently defined and specified from all possible values.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines