• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Composites in photoshop [Unable to drag and drop photos]

Community Beginner ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't I drag and drop a photo into another photo when I'm trying to make a composite in photoshop.

You need to ask program questions in the forum for the program you are using
To ask in the forum for your program please start at https://community.adobe.com/
Moving from Using the Community (which is about the forums) to the correct forum... Mod

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 10, 2022 Jun 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

?

You can do that. You'd use the Layers panel to arrange the assets in your composition and then go bananas from there.

There are a couple of ways to bring images in for compositing. One way is to use File > Place Embedded (if you want to keep things self-contained). Stil another is to simply drag an image in from another app like Bridge right into your document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2022 Jun 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but that's just the point I can't drag and drop one photo into
another, the program won't let me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe if you explained in more detail the process you're trying to use, where exactly are you dragging the image from and what operating system and version of Photoshop are you using

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you set the images to untabbed view (Window > Arrange > Tile) and please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Do you drag from the Layers Panel or the Canvas? 

Anyway, as @War Unicornalready indicated: Smart Objects are ususally the reasonable way to go when doing montages in Photoshop. 

But when placing images in file formats that don’t include Layer capabilities (like jpg) that might lead to problems later on and converting to a Smart Object and dragging might be preferable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LeslieT 

No problems here either. Please tell us more.

• Have you tiled the images from Window menu > Arrange? This is easiest.

• If the image are in tabs, you can still drag and drop, but you have to pause on the second tab, then drag down.

• Adding Shift centers the image

• Any chance you are working with GIFs that have an Index layer? I've found that I cannot drag and drop these unless I go to View > Mode > and change the mode from Index to RGB. This might be what is happening to you.

• You can use the Move tool and drag the image, but you can also drag the layer from the Layers panel onto the other image.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dragging the layer from the layer panel is a great work around.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome, @LeslieT , I'm glad this method works for you.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if nothing else works, you can also hold alt/option and drag the layer to the "new layer" icon below. You will get a dialog where you can choose in which doc to add it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. That works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't click & drag much.

I use Ctrl/Cmd + A to select all.

Ctrl/Cmd + C to copy image or layer.

On second image, Ctrl/Cmd + V to paste contents of clipboard.

Adjust layer as required.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For the (complete) image you'll need Ctrl + Shift + C, unless you have just one layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can even drag pics into it from other software, like FastStone Image Viewer. I have it set so it will become a Smart Object.

I drag the pic over PS in the taskbar (don't let go) until it gains focus. Then I drop on the canvas while holding Shift. Shift makes sure it will center and I will notice where it went.

If you have a layer selected, it will go on top of that. Otherwise it will go high on top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the tools and/or preferences.
To restore preferences quickly using a keyboard shortcut:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings. The new preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.
Note: Using the keyboard shortcut, preference files for custom shortcuts, workspaces, and color settings will also be reset to default.

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#restore_preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines