Adobe Photoshop Version: 23.4.1 20220615.r.547 3121b66 x64

Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit

Steps to reproduce:

1. Make a selection on a locked layer

2. Go to Edit > Content-Aware Fill...

3. Set Output Settings to New Layer

4. Click OK or Apply

Expected result:

New layer is created with the content-aware fill while the original layer is unchanged, OR the Content-Aware Fill... menu item should be greyed out.

Actual result:

Error message saying "Could not complete your request because the layer is locked."

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is locked specifically on the layer? If the pixels or everything is locked - the message is correct. It's telling you why it couldn't complete the request so you can remedy it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing any error here.  If you. want. this to work,  UNLOCK your layer.

Otherwise locking would have no use. Its working!

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce with Pixels on layer locked. That is behaviour not bug nor problem on your machine. Maybe you want to visit Ideas section of this site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess its a matter of perspective. My expected behavior is if I've locked the layer entirelty or just the pixels, then that means I've chosen to prevent certain features from acting on it. The menu being grayed out would be a welcome addition but the warning message is what I'd want to show if I accidentally tried to edit/act on the pixels on a locked layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is an ERROR/BUG. A locked layer should NOT be able to be  moved, should not be able to select its contents, or fill or manipulate. any of its pixels. I have seen the error on my own machine where I lock it and the layer is not fully locked. But it should be totally locked if the lock is on.

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can agree but... That is behaviour in latest and previous version which I can check. My desired point is that OP does not have strange behaviour on his machine, same thing is happening on my and I believe any other machine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes  that is what I am saying. It SHOULD Lock layers. completely but appears there is a bug and its like rolling dice whether its really locked or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But its not letting the OP actually do anything - it notifies him that the layer is locked. Its not a bug its intentional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines