• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

convert raw photo to jpgs to email, then convert to psd to retouch

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I I convert raw photos to jpgs to send via email, then end user converts to PSD to etocuh, will much quality be lost?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the JPEG quality settings, image content etc but the simple answer is, DON'T. Convert to PSD (better TIFF), retouch then convert that to JPEG. 

See: https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/file-types/image/raster/jpeg-file.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what I'm trying to do is send batch of RAW images to client, as they will do retouching on their end.  I don't want to have a lengthy transfer time with raw batch.   converting raws to jpegs to send would be convenient, then client can convert back to tiff or psd for retouch.  how much quality will be lost?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's like asking how long is a rubber band. The answer is it depends. Some images can take a lot of jpeg compression without noticeable loss. Other images will immediately show artifacts.

But more to the point - it depends on the type of edits that are subsequently done, and how much of it. Even if it's converted to PSD/TIFF directly on reception. The jpeg encoding throws away a lot of data.

I really don't see the problem in sending raw files. A raw file, being a single channel at 14 bit depth, is already much smaller than the resulting processed RGB file. A single wetransfer-link with a GB of files will upload in less than a minute over a "normal" internet connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

yeah, trying to send 4gb folder of raws.  I'm on location with weak bandwidth.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Edit: Thank you to the moderator for merging the duped posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines