Copying and pasting into a file shows ghosting/outline

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2022 Apr 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all... I have an issue that has me puzzled. Below are three scenarios. The third presents the problem, but also my preferred method to accomplish what I need to do. Does anybody know what's going on here?

Scenario one:

• I have file 'A' open. 
  • I click and drag file 'B' into file 'A', creating a new layer.
  • No issue with blending.

Scenario two:

• I have file 'A' open. 
  • I open  'file 'B'.
  • I copy a layer from file 'B' and paste into file 'A', creating a new layer.
  • No issue with blending.

Scenario three:

• I have file 'A' open. 
  • I highlight and copy (CMD+C) file 'B'
  • I paste (CMD+V) into file 'A'.
  • Strange ghosting/outline around the pasted content. (Help!)

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 4.36.01 PM.png

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows , iPadOS , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Henbones. All methods are working okay for me. Instead of copy and paste, what happens if you have both files A and B open, and then duplicate A as a layer and choose Destination Document as B? Does any ghosting appear?

JainLemos_0-1650315097004.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jain Lemos I will definitely check.

Though this is part of a generative project, so I'm kind of stuck needing scenario 3 to work. The files/layers are going to be pressed at the end ine of generation. 

I though it may have something to do with a Gaussian blur used to finish each layer - but it doesn't make sense that the paste behavior would be different. (To me, anyway)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please tell us more about file B?
- Single or multi layered?
- PSD, JPG, TIFF...?
- Contains layers with Blending Modes?
- etc...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2022 Apr 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael Bullo 
File B
- PSD (Until I save as .png)
- Single Layer

-pasting in PNG

-  All layers = 
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 4.44.38 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but I don't understand. Are you saving a multi-layered PSD file as a PNG and then copying that?

Do you know about Copy Merged within the Edit menu? This will copy everything within a selection across all layers.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael Bullo 

No, sorry. I'm pasting a .png file into another file as a layer. In two scenarios there are no issue. In the shortcut scenario - I have the wierd outline.  The file into which I am pasting is a .psd - which I will flatten and save as a .png. 

What I am trying to figure out is why would the pasting behavior even matter? Why is it a different result?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried a good old reset of the Preferences?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Michael Bullo I did reset. No luck.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My first thought at issues like this: Video/GPU drivers. (They're usually the root cause.)

Out of curiosity, have you tried disabling GPU accleration via Preferences > Performance > Graphics Processor Settings and uncheck "Use Graphics Processor"? (Similarly, try "Deactivate Native Canvas" under Technology Previews.)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines