• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not complete the command because there is not enough memory (RAM) [Feb 2010]

Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2010 Feb 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks:

I am running into an error (Could not complete the command because there is not enough memory (RAM)) when trying to open any file of any size or any format.on my Mac.

This error occurs when:

1. No other applications or files are open
  2. Upon a fresh reboot
  3. After Repairing Disk Permissions
  4. The files can be opened by Fireworks and other image editor apps or video apps

My SPECS:

1. OSX 10.5.8
  2. 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  3. 120.41 GB Free space available
  4. Graphics: GeForce 8600M GT - VRAM 512 MB

PhotoShop settings:

1. Available RAM 3072 - Let PS use 90% (2764)

I really appreciate the help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have not identified your Mac, nor have you identified where your scratch disk is  or how much space is allocated to it. That has to be your problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a MacBook Pro

The scratch disks are the Mac HD with 120 GB left open on it AND an external FW drive with 582 GB left on it.

Does this help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should probably try refreshing your Photoshop preferences, as described in the FAQs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mariann - can you point me to where the FAQs are on this? I've not found anything relating to my issue previously which is why I made the post. I've found similar issues - but not this one in particular.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/370739?tstart=0

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/370735?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read up on RAM allocation and scratch disk setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

13 years after this post originated and I think I have the solution!

The RAM error has been a major problem with our Photoshop installs over the past 2 years, more specifically CC2021 and CC2022. I have ONE situation where I can reproduce the error. The solution I found was to delete the folder at Macintosh HD:Library:Application Support:Adobe:caps. Just the mere existance of the "caps" folder causes this RAM error. The caps folder has 4 files in it but removing the files does not make a difference. Only REMOVING the caps folder makes the problem go away! Yay!

Unfortunately, the caps folder will re-appear in the future. I don't know why but I suspect it reoccurs during a CC update. So I go back into our computers and delete the caps folder anytime I get my hands on one of our Macs.

I have no idea what the purpose of the caps folder is but deleting it doesn't seem to adversely affect any apps in Creative Cloud.

I have just installed CC2023. With a known bad caps folder existing, Photoshop 2023 does not reproduce the one error I can instigate. MAYBE, the problem has been resolved. Let's hope so.

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rdstokes 

Hi RD,

You responded to a thread from 2010 (two months before CS5 was released) and system specs have changed. Deleting the caps folder is not a recommended way to deal with not having enough RAM and you have given misguided advice. This thread is now locked.

If you are having a problem with RAM, please start a new thread so we can better assist.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rdstokes said 'I have no idea what the purpose of the caps folder is but deleting it doesn't seem to adversely affect any apps in Creative Cloud.'

Deleting the caps folder does make a difference. The files within it are used by other apps not just Photoshop. We have seen cases of uninstall issues with Acrobat due to that caps folder being deleted. It can also lead to Error 105 issues on updates and installing other apps.

I would never advise people to delete common application files when you do not know what those files do.

The safest way to overcome corruption in an installation is to uninstall then use the CC Cleaner Application to safely remove unnecessary files, then reinstall.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines