• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not load actions because an unexpected end-of-file was encountered.

New Here ,
Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been getting this notification every week now! It is driving me crazy! Why is this happening, and what can I do to make it stop!! It is getting really annoying!! Thanks in advance

Laura

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 16, 2013 Feb 16, 2013

If this is happening when you start Photoshop. Stop Photoshop. Then use finder and set the mac settings to search for hidden files and find "Actions Palette.psp" rename that file so it still exists and occupies the space allocate to it. Then start Photoshop it should not find the renamed file and create a new default "Actions Palette.psp" file one with only the default action set loaded.  You should not get the message.  Next start loading you action sets one at a time. They should load without

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If that is happening when you start Photoshop it may be because one of your user ID Photoshop preferences files is corrupted. Namely "Actions Palette.psp". This file is normally hidden on both the Mac and PC platforms.   For example Windows 7 "C:\Users\Your User ID\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings\Actions Palette.psp". That message may also happen if you try to load and action set where the ActionSetName.atn file is bad.

If it happen when you start Photoshop try resetting your userid Photoshop preferences.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a mac how can I do that?? I have my actions saved on the actions folder in ps so my actions still show up I am just annoyed ecause all of my settings disappear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you load Action and when you create new actions they are saved into you Photoshop Preferences into Actions Palette.psp.  This File is read when you start Photoshop.

Apple and Microsoft both like to hide important files on users.  Windows search and Apple finder will not find and show hidden files unless you change Mac and Windows setting.  I you getting the error when you start Photoshop there is a shortcut to reset preferences. Hold down Alt, Ctrl, and Shift keys (Mac: Command, Option, Shift) while starting up Photoshop you should be prompted to for an OK to delete preferences.

If this keeps happening perhaps you have a bad spot on your disk.  Loaded actions are saved into that file so they should show up in the Actions Palette when Photoshop Start Up and read that file during start up. Photoshop Writes that file when you load action sets, when you record and edit actions and most likly also when you close down Photoshop.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

see i've already done that and it keeps happening...what should I do now 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this is happening when you start Photoshop. Stop Photoshop. Then use finder and set the mac settings to search for hidden files and find "Actions Palette.psp" rename that file so it still exists and occupies the space allocate to it. Then start Photoshop it should not find the renamed file and create a new default "Actions Palette.psp" file one with only the default action set loaded.  You should not get the message.  Next start loading you action sets one at a time. They should load without any error message.  Once all are loaded close down Photoshop and the restart Photoshop.   You should not get the error message and all your actions should be in the Actions palette.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok will do! thank you for all of your help! I'll let you know how it goes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to try SAVING those actions sets you still can see out to .atn files BEFORE deleting the entire Actions Palette.psp file.  Otherwise you chance losing them forever if they're not already saved elsewhere.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2017 Jan 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem and get this error when photoshop tries to open. I have checked the computer for this C:\Users\Your User ID\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings\Actions Palette.psp as you suggested but this is not on my computer.
I have reinstalled Adobe twice now and it dosn't solve the problem. I can open Illustrator, I can save a PDF. I can't open Photoshop.

I am running win7 and have CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oha35 wrote:

I am having this problem and get this error when photoshop tries to open. I have checked the computer for this C:\Users\Your User ID\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS6\Adobe Photoshop CS6 Settings\Actions Palette.psp as you suggested but this is not on my computer.

If you do not see that file on your system. You may have one or more of the following problems.

You have not set your system options to let you see hidden and system files so you can see them in File explorer or finder.

Your userID security does not have the permission to write into your Photoshop preferences folder.

The file is most likely on your system but is not being updated.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for taking the time to answer the plea for help. I did find the answer and it was to hold down the control+alt+shift as Photoshop opened. I'm still not sure why when I deleted the program it didn't clear it up or why even after a cold boot the program remembered my settings but at least it is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 03, 2017 Apr 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

control+alt+shift as Photoshop opened worked fine for me. thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks uuuuuu!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those who have experienced this, is there any way to get their previous actions back? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2017 Aug 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the problem mentioned but can't figure out how ti fix it.  I need it put to me like I'm a toddler, because when it comes to software/photoshop stuff I practically am.  The command+option+shift thing doesn't work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines