• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Could not open "xxx" because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions.......

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting the following error when trying to open various photoshop files from our file server....

Could not open "xxx" because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions....... (attached).

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 15.13.59.png

I have double checked the permissions and file lock status (attached)

Screenshot 2022-07-12 at 15.15.15.png

As you can see all is fine, yet the issue persists.

The issue is not present for a colleague. Using a macbook rather than a MacMini.

The file will also open if I copy the file from the server to my desktop.

I am running MacOS 12.4 as is my colleague. The current release. And both of our Creative Cloud installs are up to date.

Any ideas how I resolve this issue?

Thanks

Martin

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is an issue with Mac OS and it's been getting worse since Big Sur and Monterey. SMB or AFP don't make a difference.

The Finder itself is super agressive with read/write permissions.

If you have anything with a preview (column view or hitting space for quick view) - the OS Finder app locks it up stating the file is in use and can't be opened/overwritten/deleted, etc.

Adobe's official stance on removable media and servers is to save local and drag over. Thats why it works locally but not direct from the server.

This insures proper permissions and no speed read/write issues saving directly from the software to the external location.

It doesn't matter how fast your connection/drive is. This issue has been around for years.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines