• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CPU Spikes in Mac Monterey 12.6.1 & Photoshop 24

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2022 Nov 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating Photoshop this week things went haywire.

I'm working on a Wacom Cintiq 22HDT and a late 2015 iMac with 503 GB free.

I recently updated to Photoshop 24, and the latest Wacom driver from this week.

Firstly, I noticed that smething was malfunctioning when using the lasso tool; it would stall and then my pen tool would disconnect from the computer. The pen functioned again if I restarted Photoshop. I could work for a little while, but then it would disconnect again after a few minutes.

So I reinstalled the Wacom driver---it didn't fix much, and ultimately I reverted back to the Ocober driver, bypassing the last two drivers.  

Now Photoshop is freezing while I'm painting. I can paint for a few minutes and then the pen with stall, recover, and eventually stall and freeze and Photoshop goes unresponsive. 

So I opened up Activity Monitor and Wacom Center and painted until it glitched so I could observe what was happening in real time. I discovered that during simple functions (painting with a bush or selecting with the lasso tool) the CPU % for Photoshop shoots up to 100% or well over--I just saw it hit 140%. Simultaneously---the pen tool stalls, the rainbow wheel starts spinning, Wacom Center disconnects from my Cintiq, and Photoshop turns red in the activity monitor and must be force quit. 

I do not know if this is an issue with a Wacom tablet driver, an issue with my OS, or if this is a Photoshop bug stemming from the latest update. 

It also shows that just opeing Photoshop is using 124% of my CPU.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue with Monterey and has been going on for a while:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/01/macos-monterey-memory-leak-user-reports/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We just tried it on my spouse's brand new Mac Studio, also running Monterey, and watched it spike to 75% CPU without even doing anything in the program. It's got to be Monterey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines