Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create action with save with filename+web.jpg

Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Small action/save related issue.

When I deliver to clients I usually deliver 2 file sizes. 4000x6000 for prints and 1200x1800 for web usage.  

I have created an action which flattens the image, resizes for 4000x6000px, saves as jpg file like this; original filename+_PRINT.jpg and then resizes again as 1800x1200 and saves as original filename+WEB.jpg

Example. The raw file I used when creating the action is named E1S04975.arw. Then I run the action it automatically saves to a designated folder on my desktop named "Print" as E1S04975_PRINT.jpg and another smaller version to another folder "Web" as E1S04975_WEB.jpg

So far so good. The problem is that once I edit the next image. Say E1S04992.arw the action remember the filename used when I created the action. Which means the previous file is overwritten and  the new file gets a wrong filename.

How do I change the action so it runs using the original filename + PRINT/WEB for each image..?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

HI Stephen, Thanks for taking your time. This looks like it might be a solution. I am on a job right now but will definitely give this a go later.

Yes, I believe that it is a solution, this isn't the first time that this sort of request has come up. Although a custom script is "easy enough" to create, I like the IPP + Action route as no scripting knowledge is required.

Just to clarify: The action running tye IPP script will allow both files including Print/Web extention to be saved to t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would need a script to be able to use the current file name and not overwrite the original file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@esbensalling â€“ As Chuck alluded, if you change the filename, then it is hard-coded/recorded into the Action (with the save path).

If you don't touch/change the name, only the file save path is recorded, but then you would need to add your suffix to the original filename each time. 

So for a single Action, neither really does what you want.

File > Automate > Batch will allow you to override the recorded Action save as command with each opened filename and can also add a suffix, but there are no presets or way to save a default/preset. So again, far from perfect, but getting closer.

So, apart from a custom script – this leaves a general purpose script, such as Image Processor Pro (not to be confused with the basic Image Processor script that ships with Photoshop).

https://sourceforge.net/projects/ps-scripts/files/Image%20Processor%20Pro/v3_2%20betas/ImageProcesso...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@esbensalling â€“ Although known as a powerful batch processing script, IPP can be recorded into an action using a single open image. You can then run the action to leverage the recorded settings in the script. Don't worry that the recorded script step is blank:

IPP ATN.png

The IPP script can record up to ten different setups in a single run, you only need two. It can also play an action and save presets if you need to tweak and re-record the initial action in the future.

Here is an animated GIF of the settings for two different saves, one for Print and one for the Web:

IPP-Setup-Animation.gif

Each time you run the action on a single image, two files will be saved, it will use the filename of the active document and it will also use the suffix recorded into the action when the script was initially setup.

Two Separate Runs.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Stephen, Thanks for taking your time. This looks like it might be a solution. I am on a job right now but will definitely give this a go later.

Just to clarify: The action running tye IPP script will allow both files including Print/Web extention to be saved to thier destinations with a single click (to start the action)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe that it is a solution, this isn't the first time that this sort of request has come up. Although a custom script is "easy enough" to create, I like the IPP + Action route as no scripting knowledge is required.

Just to clarify: The action running tye IPP script will allow both files including Print/Web extention to be saved to thier destinations with a single click (to start the action)?

That is correct, in the screenshot I only ran the action twice and the two folders and four files were automatically created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The IPP Script did the trick. However, even tough I placed the IPP files in the PS scripts folder, the script didn't show in PS. Instead in decided to create an action that included "Scripts ->browse...." and then everything was ok. I believe an added bonus doing it this way, is that the action will continue to work in next gen. PS as long as the location of the IPP script file doesn't change 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IPP has very specific installation instructions, particularly if you also need it to work with Bridge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your post, you seemed to have switched the orientation of the image from portrait to horizontal. I'm assuming that both were the same orientation, as portrait. So the resize and save in a script would be like. You would just have to change what quality setting, resolution (put 'undefined' if you don't want it changed), and what resample method you want to use.

var doc = activeDocument;
var jpgOptions = new JPEGSaveOptions();
jpgOptions.quality = 8;
var targetFolder = new Folder('~/desktop/Print/')
var docName = doc.name.split('.')[0];
doc.resizeImage (undefined, 6000, 72, ResampleMethod.BICUBICAUTOMATIC);
doc.saveAs (new File(targetFolder + '/' + docName + '_PRINT.jpg'),jpgOptions);
doc.resizeImage (undefined, 1800, 72, ResampleMethod.BICUBICAUTOMATIC);
doc.saveAs (new File(targetFolder + '/' + docName + '_WEB.jpg'),jpgOptions);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chuck, 

It is an error on my side. should have been 4000*6000 and 1200*1800

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have faced the same exact need for years. For me, most often clients want a CMYK TIF for print and RGB JPG or PNG at lower res for their website. So I made my own solution. Turns out it has a lot of other uses too. Can also rasterize PDF/EPS as first page, all pages, or extract images as-is. See if it works for your situation. Free download.

https://www.marspremedia.com/software/photoshop/batch-multi-save

William Campbell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines