• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Create resize action to only apply to images bigger than set parameters

Participant ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to resize a large folder of images but only resize the ones that are bigger than a specified set of dimensions. If I was scripting this it would be simple, something like this.

if image_height > x:
  image_width = x / (image_height / image_width)
  image_height = x

I'm not sure of the process of scripting in photoshop though so, rather than fumble my way around the api for a while, is there a simpler way to do this? I was imagining creating an action that I could apply to a folder.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are four ways to script/program for Photoshop. We won't consider the C++ API or CEP scripting which is deprecated, so the most common ways now are UXP and Extendscript.

In Extendscript, this is easy:

var doc = app.activeDocument;
preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;
var maxSize = 600;
if(doc.width > maxSize){
   doc.resizeImage(width: UnitValue, height: UnitValue, resolution: number, resampleMethod: ResampleMethod, amount:int);
   }

In doc.resizeImage() you would need to specify desired settings. You could also use doAction() to call a recorded action instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for this! Extendscript is a new one on me, is there a place I can use this script within photoshop or do I just have to save a file in the scripts folder? I'd got this far with a JS script, though there was a lot I was unsure about.

const resizer = () => {
	let files = openDialog();
	for file in files {
		let height = file.height.value;
                let maxHeight = 2362;
		let width = file.height.width;
                let resolution = 300
		let newWidth = maxHeight / (height / width);
		file.resizeImage(width, height, resolution, ResampleMethod.AUTOMATIC)
		if file.height.value > maxHeight {
			file.resizeImage(newWidth, maxHeight, resolution, ResampleMethod.AUTOMATIC)
		}
	}
} 

– Is there a default unit or do I need to specify pixels?
– Is there a way to set "Interpolate the pixel information" to true or false in image size? For example, if I want to change the resolution to 300 from 350 with the checkbox off, thereby increasing the dimensions of the image, and then turn it on to scale down the image. I assume this is possible but couldn't find the option in the 2019 JS ref docs.

– If I have ResampleMethod.AUTOMATIC selected, do I need a fifth parameter?
– I've noticed most people scripting using var instead of const and let, I haven't coded in JS for a while, is there a reason for this?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, feel free not to answer them! It seems your suggestion of using doAction() will be perfectly suitable so I'll find a way to work around it using that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Extendscript is a branch of Javascript. Your test script above is NOT correct syntax and won't run.

You can go here for info

https://developer.adobe.com/photoshop/

Also, look through this forum, there are lots of good script examples.

I have a Dropbox with open source scripts and many others do as well, or Github etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mg817g9a9ymbasi/AADTmXUVxmFfM58bcyYE7yiwa?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines