Creating a Custom Action

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can give me some advice around creating a custom action to optimise my workflow. Basically I need to repeatedly add new designs into the same product mockup, but there's one part that an action doesn't seem to be able to handle and I haven't been able to figure out a solution. I'm not sure how best to explain it, so I'll put below what the action could/should look like broken down into steps and then where I have issues and why. 

- File is open and stays that way for batching images
1. Open smart object
2. Paste new design

3. Delete old design*
4. Eyedrop background colour
5. Close smart object
- File is saved into the correct folder, then ideally I'd copy the next design and repeat the action

*steps 2 and 3 could be switched if that helps. 
Because I'm keeping the file open and doing this over and over, the layer that needs to be deleted changes name so the action fails. It will work if I close and reopen the file every time, but doing this removes any time I'm saving by using the action in the first place. It would be fine if it was an occasional thing, but I batch create my images so sometimes I'm sitting there doing 50+ designs at once so opening and closing constantly is more of a hassle than a help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as up until now I've only ever needed to use pretty basic actions so I could just be missing somehting obvious. If I can make this work it'll save me minimum 5 hours a week which would be ideal!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 17, 2022 Sep 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try addressing the Layer not by selecting in manually in the Layers Panel but by using the Next Layer Below selection via Keyboard Shortcut (edit: when recording the Action). 

Screenshot 2022-09-17 at 12.44.57.png

Have you looked into a fully Scripted-approach? 

There have been several threads on automated template population already. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines