Crop & Straighten newspaper scans

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a year of scanned images, almost 600, of old newspapers that I want to crop & straighten. The script in PS does nothing to any of the images I have tried.

From a discussion elsewhere I have resorted to using Camera Raw filter > geomatry and the align vertical & horizantal tool. This works for most but for some reason the ones that are straight get rotated a few degrees and end up worse than the original. 

If and when I get them straight what would be the best way to crop to the white newspaper edge. 

I can't set any Crop tool presets, is this fixed yet?

Any ideas for a great workflow would be very appreciated. 

Here is a sample image.

Thanks in advance.

206.jpg

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022
Thanks, I don't know why they used that background and yes they are images of original paper done by my client. Usually we get the original or the microfische/film to digitize but they wouldn't release the originals to us. I just was adding a pause step to an action and realize your perspective tool may be faster. Using a batch automation of Camara raw filter to straighten takes about 30 minutes for 100 images.  Best regards.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future you (or whoever did them) may want to scan properly – so no striped backgrounds. 

Actually I wonder is that is a scan at all or a photograph. 

I suspect you may have to crop the files manually, possibly with the Perspective Crop Tool. 

Screenshot 2022-04-21 at 17.20.05.png

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, 

I don't know why they used that background and yes they are images of original paper done by my client. Usually we get the original or the microfische/film to digitize but they wouldn't release the originals to us.

I just was adding a pause step to an action and realize your perspective tool may be faster. Using a batch automation of Camara raw filter to straighten takes about 30 minutes for 100 images. 

Best regards.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A potential problem with the Perspective Crop tool is that the customized crop rectangle can’t be saved as a preset, so you do have to do that manually for each of the almost 600 scans. If the distortions are consistent enough that a batch automation in Camera Filter takes less manual work, then maybe that is the best solution.

If the scans are TIFF or JPEG images, one thing that could speed it up is cutting Photoshop out of the loop entirely. Set up Camera Raw preferences (File Handling tab) to open TIFF or JPEG images, select all 600 scans in Bridge, open them directly from Bridge into Camera Raw (File > Open in Camera Raw), apply the Geometry adjustment to all of them, then save all of them at once. Batch operations in Camera Raw (or Lightroom Classic) tend to run much faster than an equivalent Photoshop action.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A potential problem with the Perspective Crop tool is that the customized crop rectangle can’t be saved as a preset, so you do have to do that manually for each of the almost 600 scans. If the distortions are consistent enough that a batch automation in Camera Filter takes less manual work, then maybe that is the best solution.

If the scans are TIFF or JPEG images, one thing that could speed it up is cutting Photoshop out of the loop entirely. Set up Camera Raw preferences (File Handling tab) to open TIFF or JPEG images, select all 600 scans in Bridge, open them directly from Bridge into Camera Raw (File > Open in Camera Raw), apply the Geometry adjustment to all of them, then save all of them at once. Batch operations in Camera Raw (or Lightroom Classic) tend to run much faster than an equivalent Photoshop action.

By @Conrad C

Thanks, I will give that a try. This set are JPEGs but we have asked for TIFFs in the future, and to use a plain black background.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KURTIS2182769596a1 wrote:

I have a year of scanned images, almost 600, of old newspapers that I want to crop & straighten. The script in PS does nothing to any of the images I have tried.

If you mean the command File > Automate > Crop and Straighten Photos, that wouldn’t be expected to work well on scanned newspaper pages. It’s designed to split up a scan of multiple photo prints, where it’s easy to identify each individual photo against a white background, like the diagram below. It would break that up into five separately cropped and straightened photo files.

Crop-and-Straighten-Photos-good.jpg

A newspaper is different than a photo print because a newspaper is a mix of white space, text, lines, and photos. That is not what Crop and Straighten Photos is designed to look for, so it will probably fragment the page into lots of little pieces.

I like c.pfaffenbichler’s idea to use the Perspective Crop tool; it’s probably the next method you should try. You simply drag the tool rectangle corners to match the distorted newspaper’s corners, and when applied, it straightens all sides at once. See demo below.

Photoshop Crop and Straighten newspaper.gif

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines