• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Crop Tool adjust in finer adjustments? Turn snapping off?

Contributor ,
Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I come across this regularly:

I am cropping an image, and the crop tool doesn't adjust smoothly, but it snaps to increments.

It's like teeth on a ratchet, but my ideal crop would be in-between two of those settings.

Is there a way to turn off snapping to increments and have purely smooth crop tool - like you can turn off snapping with guides and adjust them to any position you want?

The same problem is with rotation: it also snaps to increments. You don't always have straight lines to use the "straighten" tool or have an image composition that demands to do it by feeling.

PS: Pressing the option or the Control key on the Mac doesn't turn off snapping.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ocean+11  wrote

Is there a way to turn off snapping to increments and have purely smooth crop tool

Hi

I turn off Snap from the View menu with the keyboard shortcut to turn off everything currently checked in the Snap To menu, then make sure to turn it back on again when finished.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 20, 2019 Feb 20, 2019

Just to make sure, I often hold down the ctrl/cmd key, which allows smoother cropping without snapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Ocean+11  wrote

Is there a way to turn off snapping to increments and have purely smooth crop tool

Hi

I turn off Snap from the View menu with the keyboard shortcut to turn off everything currently checked in the Snap To menu, then make sure to turn it back on again when finished.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure, I often hold down the ctrl/cmd key, which allows smoother cropping without snapping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

What I find out that letting go of the pen (I work with a wacom) sometimes gives the image another drift - away from the ideal position.

Is there a trick to avoid creating a move in the image just by letting go at the desired position?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can also drag out guides and than it snaps to guides.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use the marquee (M), select all, and move the selection by one pixel at a time. Once you have it set, Image->Crop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 21, 2019 Feb 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about rotation?

That's where it's most difficult to get the exact amount of what you want to do in Photoshop... that ratchet effect where you can only rotate in steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use the Camera RAW or Lens Correction filter and make the rotation there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 22, 2019 Feb 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Lumigraphics!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines