• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 + 10.6.5 - Delete Photoshop Settings file?

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2010 Nov 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having major issues when starting Photoshop CS4 on an iMac running OS X 10.6.5.  My keyboard almost becomes "stuck" and invokes strange actions.  I am using Spaces and using the Option key + arrow key to move between Spaces.

Tried opening up Fireworks immediately after closing Photoshop and it works properly without any issues.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 132 Replies 132
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2011 Mar 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you also been to Apple's forums and inquired with them? Did they provide you a short-term solution as Jesper (who works for Adobe) did? We're working with Apple and have a plan for a fix, but we can't discuss release dates. (This is a policy of both Apple and Adobe). When we have something to announce, we'll post it to this forum and other outlets so users can pick up the fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In this case, after reading this thread, I see no reason to point the finger at Apple just yet.

You mean other than us documenting the bug in the API in question?

And Apple admitting that it is indeed a bug in their code, and working on a fix?

There is no finger pointing going on here.

We're just documenting the problem and letting you know that Apple is working on a fix to the bug they introduced in the 10.6.5 update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you get down to the skinny of it, Adobe makes products for the Mac OS platform. Not the other way around. For better or worse, it's Adobes job to make their products work. Period. Apple never guarantees a flawless platform to build on--as a developer you get what you get. But they do spend a really long time in the release cycle making the platform as robust as possible. Adobe could (and should) solve an obscure issue with photoshop much quicker than Apple can change the platform.

Adobe's finger pointing leaves the assumption that it's Apple's issue to fix:

"I realize this is Apple's bug.".

"Yes, Jesper explained the OS bug.

Apple is working on a fix."

"Now Apple needs to get moving on this!"

Makes me feel like Adobe hasn't really researched what the changes were to the API (at least there's no confirmation in this thread). I use dozens of apps and the only one I'm having a problem with is Photoshop. Just sayin'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. We researched what the changes were and worked closely with Apple on what the solution would be. It affects apps other than Photoshop. No one is pointing fingers, just giving facts:

1. The problem was caused by a API change in 10.6.5
  2. We're working closely with Apple on a solution.
  3. Use Jesper's utility, ( http://bit.ly/eJsSEe ) or roll back to 10.6.4, until there is a solution. (Personally, I'd use Jesper's lightweight workaround)
  4. We'll announce details of a more permanent solution when we can. Again, Adobe and Apple don't release specifics around updates and release dates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excuse me?

Please read the entire topic before commenting. If you had read the topic, then you would realize that this problem affects many applications, not just Photoshop.

We wrote Photoshop to what was a working API. Photoshop was working.  Other application were working.

Then an OS change broke that API across all applications. There were no "changes in the API" - it's simply a bug in Apple's code.

Apple has admitted that it is a bug in their code, and is working on a fix to the bug that they introduced in their OS update.

The OS vendor has an obligation to make their APIs work as advertised/documented.  If an OS vendor cannot do that, then applications cannot work reliably on that OS.   In this case, the OS vendor broke an API and needs to fix it.

If cars were built with your philosophy:  you would have to re-engineer your car's fuel system with every fill up, and need different parts for different stations even though they are all owned by the same company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I just think it's a tall leap to go from this:

"It appears that the API that has changed in 10.6.5 is:

CGEventPost(kCGSessionEventTap, ...);

With this API we can reproduce the problem in 10.6.5 but not in 10.6.4."

to this:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/881/cpsid_88159.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a big leap when you do the debugging and talk to Apple about the problem.

And Jesper (an Adobe engineer) did just that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm having similar issues, but related to a HTML widget in a panel. See this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3586243#3586243

Sorry if this is counted as crossposting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines