Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Photoshop keeps crashing [2018]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello forum!

This is my first post here, so please be patient if my question seems out of date. I've been using Adobe's CS5 since 2010 (yikes!) and have never had an issue using it until about a week ago. All other programs (Illustrator, InDesign) work fine and with out any problems, but suddenly I started to have issues with the Photoshop program where is would moderately work (about 3 minutes or so), then crash, to now opening and then crashing immediately. I'm on a MacBook Air (Mid 2012 • Processor GHz Intel Core i72 • Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB) running on macOS Mojave. Obviously, I just recently upgraded to macOS Mojave, but have been using CS5 for about 2 weeks before I started having issues, so I don't readily know if the OS is causing conflicts with the application. Additionally, I tried uninstalling the entire suite, then reinstalling, but it didn't fix anything with the Photoshop portion of CS5.

Any advice to problem ASAP (I've got deadlines!) would be very appreciated.

Many thanks in advance for any helpful assistance with this.

Thanks,

Oz

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Ok... I talked to an Adobe tech person and, without really offering any helpful advice, they only immediately tried to sell me into upgrading to CS6 in order to fix the problem. Of course, this was never a real attempt to help me, but rather an opportunity to make me spend $$$$. There's a way to fix it without talking to Adobe's tech or spending any additional $$$. Its simple and it only takes about 30 seconds to do. Major thanks for member halexander86!!! for the following helpful tip.

Member  halexander86

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try reverting your OS to an earlier version (or upgrade to Photoshop CC).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I get an Adobe rep to contact me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Try this, if that doesn't help you may have to revert the OS

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/open-apps-wont-work-mojave-photoshop-368442 5/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok... I talked to an Adobe tech person and, without really offering any helpful advice, they only immediately tried to sell me into upgrading to CS6 in order to fix the problem. Of course, this was never a real attempt to help me, but rather an opportunity to make me spend $$$$. There's a way to fix it without talking to Adobe's tech or spending any additional $$$. Its simple and it only takes about 30 seconds to do. Major thanks for member halexander86!!! for the following helpful tip.

Member  halexander86said...

"Go to System Preferences > Security > Privacy > Accessibility (left pane) and check "Adobe Photoshop CS6.app" (right pane). That's it, from now on Photoshop CS6 won't crash anymore on macOS Mojave. And can probably be used for many years to come.

Please don't buy this ***** about having to upgrade. I've been using Photoshop CS6 on my always up-to-date Mac since its release and besides being a bit slow (like every Adobe app ever) and not offering retina support, it works perfectly fine. And it's absolutely reliable. Don't let yourself shame into upgrading by those cheesy forum clerks. You'll only get another bunch of apps that don't work even a tiny bit more reliably than what you've already got. Newer versions of Photoshop don't even have compelling new features that would make upgrading worth it. That's why Adobe needs the subscription trap, because actually innovating is so much harder.

Also, the Affinity apps are almost on par with the Adobe apps, so it would be a waste of time to switch to an Adobe subscription now. The time is better spent studying Affinity, they'll probably and hopefully be the future."

There. The solution was a simple one.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, what did macOS Mojave add that made upgrading seem immediately attractive to you, even to where you didn't take time to research whether your older applications would remain compatible?

I'm just curious; not trying to be critical of your choices at all.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel - Thanks for your response and no offense was taken on my end. I'm always reluctant of any upgrades, if only for the reasons that you've sighted. I usually wait a couple months before I ever make a jump to a new OS, just to see what public complaints arise, but this time I didn't. I should have waited.

Thanks for your inquiry.

Oz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you talked to a real adobe employee?

I ask because adobe no longer offers cs6 for sale nor supports it.

Or did you mean to say that adobe wanted you to subscribe to photoshop cc?

There has been an ongoing problem with people posing as adobe employees and messaging users to contact them via Skype, which adobe does not use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff - Thanks for your reply and alerting me possible scammers. On review of my interaction with the supposed Adobe rep, I can now see that it was a complete scam. Soon after my interaction on Skype I received an alert from Google that I an unknown Mobile device was attempting to access my gmail profile, which is also associated with my Adobe ID. They did adequate job of trying to fool me; contacting me on the Adobe fourm by representing that they were an employee and utilizing an Adobe logo as their avatar during Skype call, etc.. I actually feel quite embarrassed for falling for their ruse. Fortunately, none of my passwords are interchangeable, so it was more  a waste of their time than mine.

Arrrrrrg!

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2020 Mar 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with Photoshop CS5 crashing under Mojave 10.14.5 and fixed that with the security-pane some months ago. But something must have happened in the last days, because on both my MacBooks Photoshop crashes again on the first click. I found a solution here that worked on one machine: Start PS with no file, go to prefs-> extensions and disable "Allow Extensions to communicate over the Internet". Quit, restart, work.

On the other Mac that did not the trick. I deleted the Photoshop related Folders in Libary/Application Support and /Preferences (I don't save anything important here, check if you do). Then I checked all my fonts with Apples font tool scince I know that a crashing Photoshop often comes in combination with a damaged font. Look if there are any bad files and delete them. If you use FontExplorer Pro you may also like to delete the Application- and system Font Caches as well with it (there are terminal links for this task in the interwebs). After that my Photoshop didn't crash anymore.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much this second fix worked for me!! So happy doing my happy dance! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the "extensions" option when I go to preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank You!
The first fix You mention (Preferences / Plug-Ins / tic for not "Allow Extentions Connect to the Internet") got me up and running again. (MacBook Pro 2012 (16 GB ram 2 TB SSD Mojave 10.14.6, bebruary 2022)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue with CS5 on Mohave. However, Photoshop was already checked in my Accessibility pane. So I unchecked it, tried it again, it didn't work,  so I re-checked it and now it works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2023 Nov 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great help...  THANKS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike:  I did as you suggested to no avail. Further, I restarted the computer to make sure my change was installed. What do you think my next step should be? Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt your awesome the accessibility trick worked like a charm!!! I've had a crashing CS5 Photoshop for weeks now and NO Adobe was NO help. Thanks Man again your Awesome!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It worked! I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! Thank you so much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines