• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

curves layer icon a triangle with a crown

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi when i should use this tool??, when i pick this tool the histogram changes a bit, how does it works? im an architec who do renders and what i read is the icon gives me a more accurate histogram, but do you think this is better for a more accurate post production?

Thanks

Luis Gamiño

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Which tool are you asking about? Do you mean the symbol shown in the demo below? If so, that is the Cached Data Warning icon. Photoshop builds an initial histogram from cached data because it’s fast, but not precise. For a more precise histogram, click the Cached Data Warning icon. If you hover the pointer over the icon, it displays a short tool tip description.

For more details about the features of the Histogram panel, read View histograms and pixel values in Photoshop online help. The icon shown above is described under the heading “Refresh the histogram display” which is about halfway down the web page.

Photoshop histogram Cached Data Warning icon.gif

…do you think this is better for a more accurate post production?

By @Luis28284305a294

Refreshing from current image data is more accurate, but not necessarily more useful, because of the basic weakness of the histogram: Although it shows you the distribution of tonal levels in each channel, it cannot show you where in the image those levels are. Having more precise histogram bars often doesn’t tell you anything more about color balance or clipping.

So it depends what problems you are trying to solve with your renders. If you need a better readout of color balance, the Info panel is a better tool. If you need to know where tones are clipping, the clipping display in Levels or Curves is a much better tool. If you need to know how a render will appear in a different color space like printing inks or a different display standard, then soft-proofing is a better tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines