• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom-made shape changes shape when placing it in a new image on a transparent background

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I struggle with the following problem in Photoshop: I created a shape using curvature pen tool. When I attempt to copy the shape into a new image, and place it on top of a transparent background layer (or also if I try to delete my background layer completely), it changes shape. E.g. I create a black arrow shape, and after putting it on top of transparent background (or also after deleting the background), it changes into a black rectangle. What do I do wrong, or how do I preserve the original shape "as is"?

Thanks. Ludek

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't replicate it on my Windows system.  Can you show us a screen shot of your workface with Layers panel showing.  Make it full res so we can see whqt is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi gents.

Here's again what I do with screenshots.

The shape is consisting of two shapes: an ellipse and a curvature-pen-tool-drawn arrow. In the first screenshot, there;s the original image, on white background. On the second screenshot: the image is create in the following manner: in the "New" dialogue the "Background Contents" setting is changed to "Transparent" (though it shows white in reality). The shape was drawn from the original image using a mouse drag-and-drop. It resulted in a black rectangle showing int he place where I placed the copied objects. Now, I tried to convert the shapes into a smart object as well as rasterize them before copiying them, but it all ended the same way. So not sure, where the issue is. Ludek

janee_0-1667334695180.png

janee_1-1667334727175.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not replicate too. Please post screenshot or at least specify steps you are taking so we can try to replicate on our machines.

You can save custom shape by the way, then use it in other document. After creating/drawing shape ensure that path is selected then go to Edit > Define Custom Shape.

define custom shape.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2022 Nov 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Bojan. I posted the screenshots and further description in reply to the post above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines