• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cycling through Luts in Photoshop

New Here ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just starting to use Luts in photoshop, is there anyway of cycling through them with the up/down keyboard

functions instead of viewing them labourisly one at a time.

I could convert them for ACR but I would like to keep the option of using Blend modes in photoshop.

A freiend of mine can cycle through them in Windows, surely I can do the same on my Mac in Catalina

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2020 Dec 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your post was moved over from the "Using the Community" forum, which is for getting help using this forum system, to a better forum.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey same problem here

cycling through LUT working on windows but not on Mac apparently

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bjtmiguel wrote:

A freiend of mine can cycle through them in Windows, surely I can do the same on my Mac in Catalina

No, that is not a given. The reason is that Windows is designed for much more keyboard control over options, so when you open a drop-down list in Windows, the currently selected item is both selected and applied as you change it with the arrow keys.

macOS is more of a mouse-first design. Although you can use the Enable Full Keyboard Access option to select panel items and options, including items in drop-down lists, unfortunately that does not make a drop-down list work completely like Windows: On the Mac, a selected list item is not applied until the list is closed. This limitation of macOS is why you can’t use the arrow keys to try out list items.

This macOS limitation affects all Mac applications, so it affects all drop-down menus in Mac Photoshop except one: The blending modes drop-down list in the Layers panel. That is the only drop-down list in all of Mac Photoshop (that I know of) that will let you preview the effect before applying. Adobe only made that possible recently, because it was such a highly demanded feature request. But to accomplish it, Adobe basically had to hack around the way macOS works naturally.

So to get a more interactive LUT preview, Adobe will have to do one of two things:

A) Hack around the Mac system, like they did for the blending mode list in the Layers panel. The disadvantage is that this is non-standard in macOS and could break if Apple changes something in a future system update.

B) Redesign how LUTs are applied so it can be more naturally interactive on both macOS and Windows, like the way Adobe lets you try LUTs in Camera Raw and Lightroom by hovering over LUT thumbnail previews.

If you have a strong feeling which way it should go, you can create a feature request in the Ideas section of this forum, or look there to see if someone already created a request you can upvote.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Conrad for all this information

I was thinking to use a PC keyboard with PC shortcut exported but it seems that its will be inefective.. what do you think about use photoshop with a Windows emulator like VMware Fusion ? I am curious

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As long as you have an Intel Mac and not Apple Silicon, it should work to run Windows Photoshop in a virtual machine on your Mac. Of course you will need to install and sign into the Creative Cloud application in Windows so that you can install Windows versions of Adobe software.

But it might not work completely. Virtual machines typically do not have full access to the graphics hardware, so they substitute an “imitation” GPU for Windows to see. The current version of Photoshop relies on more graphics processing than it has in the past, so it is pickier about the GPU. Depending on the virtualizer application you use, Photoshop sometimes decides that the virtual machine GPU is not up to its standards, so some features may not be available. At least that’s been my experience with the Parallels Desktop virtualizer.

But if you already have VMWare Fusion, it’s worth trying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines