• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DEFECT: "Save as..." is broken. It doesn't allow ALL file types / conversions.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I have an image open, like a PSD, and I want to save it as a JPG, PNG, or other such format, for 25 years, I have selected "Save as..." 

In PS 22.5.2, Windows 10, when you click "Save as..." it no longer allows ALL image formats. 

The only way to get it to do what I need it to do is to use "Save a copy..."  However, when I select that option, it automatically appends "copy" to the file name.

This functionality needs to change.  It is practically unusable this way.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

You are very late to this party 🙂

In the the current version, go to Preferences > File Handling and click on 'Enable legacy "Save As"'. Then click OK and close and restart Photoshop.

"why change anything that works & used by thousands for years"

The change was driven by changes in Apple's Mac operating system. The legacy option was added following feedback from users.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah.. I don't get this change either, why change anything that works & used by thousands for years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are very late to this party 🙂

In the the current version, go to Preferences > File Handling and click on 'Enable legacy "Save As"'. Then click OK and close and restart Photoshop.

"why change anything that works & used by thousands for years"

The change was driven by changes in Apple's Mac operating system. The legacy option was added following feedback from users.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, @davescm, in spite of the unnecessarily snarky "very late to this party" comment.

I first noticed this issue months ago when it first appeared in my update.  I just haven't had time to look for an answer or to post about it.

Cheers. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies - my comment was not meant to be snarky - hence the "smiley". There was an awful lot of debate in these forums when the change was brought in, followed by the addition of the legacy option in preferences.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Daniel Gullo, PhD 

Here is the (merged) thread from 13 May with 775 replies that Dave is referring to:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-save-as-formats-have-disappeared-ph...

We didn't understand the issue at first, and we still remember how it tore us up as we tried our best to assist users. Fortunately Adobe was able to fix this one fairly quickly with the legacy option.

@davescm , I think I'll party somewhere else! 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines