• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Define Pattern Not Enabled - Why???

Explorer ,
May 17, 2011 May 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I follwed the simple instructions in the help system to the letter. I make a selection using the rectangular marquee tool, but the Define Pattern menu item under the Edit menu is not enabled. What do I have to do to define a pattern? Why is such a simple thing so diffucult?

-Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guru , May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011
..then why WOULDN'T inverting the selection delete everything that's not within the dashed border that you see?

I'm not saying it doesn't!

What I'm proposing is that some of the pixels WITHIN the marching ants selection you show might have some transparency in certain pixels that is  causing Define Pattern to be unavailable.

Can you put that pattern over an area with dark and light values (NOT the transparency checkerboard you have) and re-post it?

Or better yet, Cmd+Click on the problem layer and S

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

I know this is an old one, but in case anybody else has the problem and is seeking an answer not so far addressed, if you have  'Feather' selected (in other words, any option above 0 px) then 'Define Selection' isn't available.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, I had the same problem earlier and as you said when I use the pen tool or the control command to select the area, the "define pattern" is disabled, but if I use the rectangle selection tool it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old one, but in case anybody else has the problem and is seeking an answer not so far addressed, if you have  'Feather' selected (in other words, any option above 0 px) then 'Define Selection' isn't available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2021 Sep 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be stickied as the correct answer; it's what causes the "semi-transparent" pixels that make "Define pattern" unavailable. The current stickied "solution" doesn't give a solution; it just defines the problem. Trying anything other than turning off the feather—e.g. flattening the layer or image to maike sure there are no transparent pixels—won't solve it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" Smiling_Carcass  Community Beginner , Oct 19, 2019

I know this is an old one, but in case anybody else has the problem and is seeking an answer not so far addressed, if you have  'Feather' selected (in other words, any option above 0 px) then 'Define Selection' isn't available." Yes, I reduce the feather to 0px and define pattern enable again! thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 18, 2023 Aug 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Try it with Photoshop Beta.  Seems to work for me now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines