deleting unnecessary cameraRaw files

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2022 Jun 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm trying to clean up my hard drive by deleting unnecessary files. i've notice there are a lot of camera profiles & camera raw files in the Application support libray and i don't really use a camera. are they associated with photoshop? can these be deleted without harm. are there any other unnecessary adobe camera centric files that can be deleted?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022
thanks. i'll see if i can figure out how to use it.

Translate

Translate
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're going about this the wrong way. This isn't where you save space. Actual space freed up is negligible, it won't make a dent.

Clean out your user account instead. That's where all the junk accumulates. If you really want to clean house, there is an indispensable tool which shows you exactly what's filling up your drives, and where it is. Can't recall what the Mac version is called, but here's how it looks on Windows:

windirstat.png

Oh, first run a disk cleanup from your operating system. It can be surprisingly effective.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. what is the windows app called? i'll try and find a mac version. not sure how to run a disk cleanup on the mac any more. years ago there were options in the Disk Utility app, but i don't think that's possible any longer.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disk Utility is a utility to format and/or repair disks. It does not, and never did, deal with individual files. Use the Apple Store app to search for file utilities. As I'm typing this on my iPad, I cannot give you examples, except that I remember a utility called Daisy Disk.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JohanElzenga wrote:

Disk Utility is a utility to format and/or repair disks. It does not, and never did, deal with individual files. Use the Apple Store app to search for file utilities. As I'm typing this on my iPad, I cannot give you examples, except that I remember a utility called Daisy Disk.

I'd recommend the free Onyx utility. 

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
https://www.macworld.com/article/352902/onyx-review-macos.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. i'll see if i can figure out how to use it.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The documents you speak of are not large, plus, every time you reinstall Photoshop/ACR, they will be placed back there. Ignore them.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a mac you can go to Apple>About This Mac>Storage>Manage>Reduce Clutter>Review Files and from there you can see where and what large files are taking up space.

(this doesn't include system files)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is indeed very useful too, but do remember that this will only show you big individual files. You may have a huge cache folder full of relatively small files, that could all be deleted. The 'Review Files' function won't show this folder.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines