Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Depths and Lights are not shown correctly in PS

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I stumbled across a weird issue with PS version 24.1. I exported an image from LR to PS, converted the colour space from PhotoRGB to sRGB as usual and suddenly the depths and lights are displayed totally different in PS than in LR.

Initially i thought there is smthg wrong with the colour space, BUT when I export the image from PS or view in in Camera Raw Filter in PS, the depths and lights are displayed correctly. So it must be smthg in the View. Weird is, I had no issue with all my other photos I edited in the recent month and didn't change anything. 

Those are the first studio flash images I edit with high amounts of black and high contrast. pprbly it was there also before and I didn't notice. 

Screenshot 2022-12-19 at 11.01.46.pngScreenshot 2022-12-19 at 11.01.04.pngDSC06425-Edit-Edit.jpg

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Save a Copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek- did already export the TIF from LR and Open in PS, same issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all, your screenshots are taken with wildly different zoom ratios. You need to compare them all at 100%, which displays one image pixel represented by exactly one physical screen pixel. Otherwise you will get screen resampling artifacts.

Secondly, I see you have a Dell monitor profile embedded. Dell is notorious for shipping bad monitor profiles and they simply cannot be trusted. You need to buy a good calibrator, such as an i1 Display Pro.

A bad monitor profile can affect applications differently. A marginal profile may work in one, but fail in the other. And although it all ends up in the same display profile, the source profiles may be different, and so the calculations are different.

Thirdly, ProPhoto tends to amplify any small inaccuracies, much more than other color spaces. It's simply so immensely huge that any numerical step covers a much larger distance, and so errors are blown up in the remapping into the monitor profile.

All that said, one of these stands out, and it's the one in the middle. It has pretty pronounced black clipping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your answer. I'm calibrating regularly (every month) with my SpyderXPro and the issue with the black parts just appears when viewing / editing that image in PS. When I export the same image the end results looks just perfect and matches the image as shown in LR. 

If the recalculations from the LR version to PS would cause the issues or the monitor would be causing it, mustn't the exported image from PS showing the same issues?

How can that be?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The embedded display profile (MacOS embeds the display profile when you take screenshots)  - is called "Dell U2713HM-2". Is that a profile you made with the Spyder, and named it that? It looks like a Dell profile to me.

Also, I'm not talking about a document to document conversion. I'm talking about a document profile to monitor profile conversion. That's what you see on screen, that happens continuously with everything that goes to screen. So no, an Exported file would in no way necessarily look the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep calibrated with spyder named "Dell U2713HM-2". Recalibrated just last week on Saturday.

Ok get it, but mustn't the document profile at least between PS view and Camera Raw Filter view in PS be the same? There shouldn't any differences occur or? Still the image is displayed correctly in Camera Raw Filter whereas in PS standard view not. 

What can I check? Colour Space? 

Could it be that there is something wrong in the view settings such as the proofing schema? (checked proofing is deactivated)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR has its own color management engine, and I would assume that goes into action as long as you're inside the ACR filter - IOW as long as the ACR interface is up.

In the same way, the ACR module uses the GPU separately from Photoshop, and again, I would expect that to be operating as long as the ACR interface is up.

Display color management is normally performed by the GPU, both in ACR/Lightroom and Photoshop. So one thing you can try is to uncheck the GPU in ACR preferences. If the difference goes away, it could be a GPU bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deactivated GPU in ACR- now ACR view is the same as I see it in PS. 

Thanks for the hint! I upgraded to the last version just recently so I would need to check if a rollback to one of the older versions solves the issue. Honestly I've never detected anything similar in the older versions.  

Also checked the GPU settings for PS general, they seem to be fine- chaching stands at 50 objects, 40 levels, size 1024 KB- should be default settings. Checked also to deselect Multithreaded-Compostiting, also doesn't change  improve quality so it really seems to be a GPU bug.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds strange since it happened to me too when I was trying to visualize the effects of the ranboo hoodies colors and couldn't do it 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2023 Feb 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It is absolutely right. Every clothing color has to attract everyone even ranboo plush too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines