• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dialog pop-up boxes not showing up in Photoshop

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2022 Jan 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issue where my dialog boxes are not showing up (trying to "save as", resize canvas, literally anything that has a popup where you have to confirm something) so it appears as if photoshop is frozen waiting for me to select something in the dialog box. If I hit the esc key, the missing dialog box will flash for a second but then disappear and photoshop "unfreezes." I fixed this once by exiting out of photoshop entirely, but now its starting up again.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is EXACTLY what happens to me too, and hitting escape, or whatever doesn't work at all. You either have to hit 'enter' and committ your changes, or hard reboot the program and your computer. It's brutal and ongoing. I updated to the latest version and so far so good, but not holding my breath. There have been other issues instead. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see you've been having this problem for at least 6 months as well. Every time I update, it seems like the problem has been fixed, but then it starts back up again. Can't we just get a STABLE version and stop with the beta features?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the secret is to furiously mash all your keys in deseparate frustration until something works (and then figuring out how to undo whatever you just broke). Cursing while doing so improves the outcome significantly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that if I right click on the app in the dock, click "hide", it'll finally pop up the dialogue box to choose save, dont save, or cancel. Extremely time consuming, ruins the workflow. Just had to open and make a quick change to 20 different files, and each one I had to do this for. Adobe maybe needs to focus less on AI for a bit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing this possible work around. Still a pain, but better than force-quitting. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing this tip, never thought of this, but will certainly give it a try next time (and I'm sure there will be a next time) this happens. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this works for me too, and while still annoying at least I won't have to force quit and lose a document now, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sigh...actually it doesnt always work. Adobe please figure this garbage out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this exact problem. Nothing fixes it except exiting the application and restarting it. Mid busy season again and I am ready to scream. Five times in one day I have had to do this. Adobe you really need to do better. I never had this problem until this subscription based version started. I hate paying monthly for a service that fails all the time.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i done been screaming. this bug is driving me absolutely nuts, it seems like its getting worse

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Potoshop REALLY needs to fix this. Just lost a bunch of work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I experienced this problem with Photoshop 2022 on Mac intermittently, and very annoyingly, but it went away for the last half of the year.  Now that it's updated to the 2023 version, the problem is back.

I've lost many files that I was keeping open with small changes for the purpose of copying components to other files. Not being able to exit out without saving is a no go.  Right clicking Photoshop in the dock and selecting "hide" sometimes works. Furious when it does not.  Need a fix for this yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There have been posts about this, I believe it has to do with multiple monitors on Mac. Do some searching, you should be able to find other posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has been occuring for me for over a year. The "SAVE AS" option can be clicked – once the obnoxious "save to cloud" screen is bypassed by hitting "Save to Computer", nothing happens. Makes absolutely no sense. It'll work fine for days, weeks, or months and then randomly it just stops. I have to reset the Photoshop program, which is a pain if I havent saved my work yet. Someone needs to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try a through reset of Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Note re macOS: The user Library folder is hidden by default.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviors in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customize per your frequent workflows

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences

in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

[on MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note for those on macOS: - be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note for those on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

It’s recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

(See above about preserving preferences though! Its worth preserving them unless they are corrupted.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this problem does not resolve with a full clean install of Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you really do a "clean" install? A simple trash and reinstall doesn’t replace all the settings/ preferences, you have to follow Adobe's instructions to do it thoroughly (properly removing the old version first).

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2023 Jan 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does wiping the drive and re-installing the os count as a clean install to you, Neil? That's what it means in my reply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that would be a full clean install - as long as you didn’t "migrate" the data afterwards from the old system (because that would bring the potentially problematic settings/preferences into the new installation)

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone who might be having this issue on Mac, you likely don't need to force quit Photoshop and lose work. If you right click on the Ps logo in the dock, you can hide Photoshop. Then click to bring Ps back up, and your dialog box will appear. It's frustrating, and I'm having to do this several several times per hour, but I'm no longer losing any work because of it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 19, 2023 Mar 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem on my iMac Pro also. Unplugging my second monitor (a 1K Apple Thunderbolt Display) fixed it. Adobe software is so full of bugs as to make creating art and designs painful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and am using an old Apple Cinema Display with my new Macbook Pro, as my screen of choice when using Photoshop. I have never paid attention to whether or not it happens when I am only using my MBP. You could be on to something. Thank you for your post. After just now looking up the thread, I see others mentioning the multiple screen problem. Ugh. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its been over 12 months and no response from the offical adobe team on how to solve this issue. Temp fix is to hide photoshop from the doc and click the icon again to show hidden dialogue box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue - one monitor, and it happens 20 times a day.  SUPER frustrating.  Adobe - when are you going to fix this???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2023 Apr 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you tried thoroughly resetting preferences?

Thorough reset of Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Note re macOS: The user Library folder is hidden by default.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

Unexpected behavior may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviors in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customize per your frequent workflows

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences

in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

[on MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note for those on macOS: - be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note for those on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

It’s recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

(See above about preserving preferences though! It’s worth preserving them unless they are corrupted.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines