• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Difference between "layer group" and "layer set"

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop for so long that I was shocked to recently hear the term "artboard" for the first time. I'm still not sure what it is, but I see there are plenty of Google results to explain that.

What is really frustrating is I'm learning about scripting in PS and I constantly see references to "layer sets" on this forum. I'm getting the impression that it's pretty important to know what that is, but I've been unable to find a resource that explains the difference between a "layer group" (which I've, naturally used for decades) and a "layer set."

Can anyone explain or point me to an explanation? Thank you!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

They are the same thing. 

They were called Layer Sets from Photoshop 1.0 - CS1. After CS2 they were renamed groups.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are the same thing. 

They were called Layer Sets from Photoshop 1.0 - CS1. After CS2 they were renamed groups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. That turned out well. Thank you very much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never got artboards.  I had a wee play after reading your comment, and created an almighty mess which left me no idea where the document limits were.  I'm sure that I am missing out and being too lazy to work them out, but I'd love to hear from someone who swears by them.  Are they for doing comic strips and storyboards for instance?  Or for jotting ideas on the same screen so you can have continuity of the artwork?  I use the Michael Ninness window arrange shortcuts which does that, but I accept without the fluid transition between the boards, but then again, I like my rulers to reference the document I am working on rather than span across all of them.  Yes, you could reposition the grid zero zero point, but it does not snap to an artboard corner.  So what are they for?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Artboards are typically used by UI/UX and web app designers to demonstrate how the app will appear on different device sizes and across multiple pages/screens.

Branding designers also use them for logos, menus, product packaging, labels, letter head, business cards (front & back), T-shirts...  They sometimes create several artboards in different color schemes & themes.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moodboards is also another good use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Nancy, thanks James. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Happy Doorway 

The important thing to remember is that for scripting, from the Photoshop Object Model perspective, they are still layerSets or LayerSet - despite the GUI change in name. If using Action Manager code, there may be references to Group. It is all contextually dependent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines