• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Disable extras on startup

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2009 Nov 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using PS CS3. I don't remember changing any settings, but all of a sudden when I open any Photoshop file, the "extras" (gridlines) are showing. I can hit the keyboard shortcut to turn it off, but I have to do that each time I open a file...which is pretty annoying. I looked through my preferences and can't seem to find anything that would cause this to happen. Any ideas on how I can make the extras stop showing on startup?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

I realize this thread is old but I came across it because I was having the same problem in PS CS3 (which doesn't seem to have the CS4 icon referred to in the previous reply).

Unchecking 'View > Extras' also had not worked for me.  The grid would still re-appear when subsequently opening an image.

In my case, what seemed to be forcing the grid to show up on every image load was that the 'View > Show > Grid' option was checked.  Unchecking it resolved the problem for me.

So, recapping, to avoid the g

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Nov 07, 2009 Nov 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save a file after you turn it off and they should stay off for next time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2009 Nov 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, that doesn't work. I've been opening a file, turning it off, working on and saving the file. When I reopen anything at all in Photoshop, that setting is always on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 26, 2010 May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same prob. I have in my CS5, but I solved that. Go to Vew - Show - And disable all grids and so on. Next time u wont see them. Just everytime I open any image, extras is still marked in View tab..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old but useful. I just recently went to subscription. I was using the stand alone Photoshop for over 23 years until it became impossible to use my computer to even get on the internet. Now I have to face all the strange changes in preferences, tool shortcuts etc. Most of which were totally unnecessary IMO. Seems like someone had too much spare time on their hands and wanted somthing to do, so let's do something bizarre, like change the command F key and command Z key so I can't toggle, hide oil paint, hide refine edge, mess up the transform tool, change keyboard shorcuts, have pink bounding boxes show up for nearly everything(figured out how to get rid of them). Thankfully, I was able to get back legacy Photoshop by changing everything back to the way I was used to. Now, I'm happy, just can't figure out why all those changes were made.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2010 May 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried trashing your prefs yet (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences You’ve changed)?

Other than that a fairly convoluted workaround could be to Insert the Menu Item Grid in an Action and link that to Open Document in Script Events Manager, thus toggling grid visibility on any open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 21, 2023 Sep 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Best way to seve preferences is to give the workspace a name. That way, when you trash preferences to keep the spinning beachball at bay--seems to like to rear its ugly head eventually when you mess with the preferences to change back to legacy versions--you can then reopen Photoshop and pick your named workspace with all your preferences intact and wait until the beach ball begins its reign of terror to do it all again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2010 Oct 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched around and found up on the menu bar in cs4 is the icon for view extras. I unchecked the show grids and that is what turned it off for me.  The icon looks like the corner of the window when the rulers are showing and is to the right of the BR (launch Bridge - which I love) button. Hope it helps the next person. I turned the grid on a couple of days ago. Flighty artist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working as you said

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 22, 2011 Aug 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this thread is old but I came across it because I was having the same problem in PS CS3 (which doesn't seem to have the CS4 icon referred to in the previous reply).

Unchecking 'View > Extras' also had not worked for me.  The grid would still re-appear when subsequently opening an image.

In my case, what seemed to be forcing the grid to show up on every image load was that the 'View > Show > Grid' option was checked.  Unchecking it resolved the problem for me.

So, recapping, to avoid the grid showing up when loading an image:

View > Show > (uncheck) Grid

I haven't checked but I'm guessing the same behaviour would apply to other 'Extras' set to show in the View > Show command while the Extras command is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked!

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2018 Sep 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking "Show Grid" worked for me. See above for instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 14, 2019 Sep 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

life saving help! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 25, 2019 Sep 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2021 Apr 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked great. Thanks so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 13, 2022 Mar 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU this worked perfectly!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2023 May 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG thank you .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2018 Jul 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Direction: 

View > Show > (uncheck) Grid

This will work if other solutions have not. Thanks to all the community for solving this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exaqct same problem. When I open a file, the grid shows up automatically ALL the time. I can turn it off with CNTRL-H but that's really annoying when I'm working with a large number of images. The solution above doesn't work. I uncheck, open a new file and the grid shows up again. HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post, but if anyone is still having this issue here is a workaround;  Go to Photoshop Preferences. Select Guides, Grids & Slices. Halfway down that window find Gridline Every and enter a huge number -- I put 30 inches between gridlines, and next to it I enter 2 Subdivisions. I don't work on images arge enough for such widely spaced  Gridlines to ever be seen, so it is as if I have turned it off permanently. (If you do work on very large images, enter an even higher number).  Recap: Photoshop Preferences > Guides, Grids & Slices > Gridline Every [enter a large number of 9nches] and Subdivision [enter 2].  Hope this works for you too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2022 Jun 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great lead ... I actually followed your instructions and instead of changing the size, I changed the COLOR, to white. Gridlines be gone!  Thanks for you inspiration!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 30, 2022 Jun 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did both, just to be sure.
Those b*tches are gone!

Thanks, guys; this was really irritating me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Uncheck it, save file (usually multiple times as I'm working), and grid will still appear on next image. Haven't been able to resolve issue. Ugh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so I tried this, and seems to have corrected this problem: View > Show > None. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you open the sub-menu, you can uncheck each individual item. That will stick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines