• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display Problem between Camera Raw and Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone... I hope you're having a good day.

I recently purchased the Photoshop package, and seem to have run into trouble.

I was editing some photos from a recent shoot I had, and have display problems that I can't seem to resolve.

camera raw.jpg

This is how the photo is displayed in Camera Raw. I have done some edits to it. It was from a theater play, and the light wasnt so good, but I have done the best I could with it. I like the edit. But when then I open it up in Photoshop to continue editing it and save it, this is how it shows up.

photoshop.jpg

I have tried it with another photo of the series, and the same thing happens.

I was running the latest version of Photoshop, but because I have a bit of an old laptop, I thought it might not be the best version to run. So I installed Photoshop version 22.0, but the problem still persists.

I am on a Samsung laptop with NVIDIA GeForce 640M, which I have updated to the latest driver. I also have an integrated Intel (R) 4000 which I have also updated. I tried changing the GP, because photoshop by default uses the NVIDIA GP, but couldnt find a way to do it. I am also using an external screen to edit my photos.

What could be the issue? Why is Camera Raw displaying the photo in one way, and then photoshop just butchers it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

R

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need a modern computer to run the latest versions of Photoshop successfully. How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have on your laptop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek

I have 12G of RAM and 500G of hard disk capacity, of which 140G are free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need a minimum of at least 16GB of RAM to process such large documents, though I'm not sure why you are getting that posterisation effect. What happens if you reduce the dimentions of the document by say 50 percent?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried reducing, but nothing changes.The posterization still comes up, which is strange becasue it does not show up on Camera Raw

No idea of what might be the issue of a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does it come out in Photoshop if you use Auto edit in the RAW processor?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Same wayphotoshop 2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect this may be screen resampling artifacts with an extremely noisy image.

The Clarity +100 setting will certainly not help with that.

What you always need to do with very noisy images is to view at 100%. This displays exactly one image pixel to exactly one screen pixel.

So set both ACR and Photoshop to 100% and check again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D Fosse

Went ahead and checked both PS and ACR at 100% view, and you were right. I could isee it clearly. I brought down Clarity to 0%, opened the image in PS and then reopened it through the in ACR, and added 100% Carity without getting any posterization, even when I was till treating it as a RAW file.

Sounds a little strange no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, it's not so strange. Let's say you have 8000 x 5000 pixels in the file, and this will be resampled down to, say, 1500 x 900 screen pixels. Normally that's no problem - except if you have a lot of pixel-level noise or pixel-sharp transitions (and I would guess you do here).

You might think it's just a matter of averaging out, but it's not so simple. There a lot of math going on in this process, and no "best" way to do it.

To speed up preview rendering, adjustment and blending previews are calculated based on the on-screen version. But when you're zoomed out you don't have the true pixel values in the file - instead you have a lot of intermediate values resulting from this downsampling. So the preview isn't correct, until you commit the adjustment and it's a calculated on the full pixel data, pixel for pixel.

All of this is avoided by viewing at 100%! In Photoshop/ACR, 100% has nothing to do with size. It means one image pixel is represented by exactly one screen pixel.  This means that all calculations are pixel for pixel correct. Each single pixel in the image is represented accurately and correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, try disabling GPU in the Preferences (Performance preferences). Any better?
If not, recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. On the Mac, that's part of the OS update(s) so if this is the latest OS version, you may need to roll back a release.
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi thedigitaldog

Thanks for taking the time to post a reaply. The previous post helped me get around it, although I still can't figure out why in the original RAW file it gives me posterization, but when I opened it through photoshop, even as a RAW file back again into Camera Raw, the image looks fine and I can add all the Clarity I want.

Also, this is the first time ever this has happened. With my 2019 version, everything was fine.

If the issue persists I will take ou suggestions and try them out. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines