Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Distortion printing

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I'm banging my head against the wall, I can not figure out how to fix my problem.

I got a small business/hobby printing and vacuumforming the print around objects.

There is software for my problem, but it is way to expensive. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulT0LqQ9KHE)

I have printed numerous patterns to check how much my images distorts, and its from 0 - 300%.

That meaning someplaces, a 1x1cm square will be 1x3cm when formed.

Anybody got a bright idea how to fix this problem ?

I'l add two images as examples.

Straight meshStraight mesh --> FormedFormed

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose one could use a Displacement Map to counteract the effect but I suspect that would work in the opposite direction of what you want to achieve, as it might be used to preview the distortion but not effectively enable to work in the distorted state. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found someone with the same problem as me, he also printed a grid. But the thread ends without an happy ending. Any creative solutions here? 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop most likely is not the application to use for you products you seem to want some 3D application.  You may want to look at Adobe Dimension to see if it can built or import the 3D models you seem to need. Adobe Dimension 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any solutions at this time, but have started to work on the problem using methods described in this paper:

https://igl.ethz.ch/projects/thermoforming/computational-thermoforming-2016.pdf  I spoke to one of the authors at NYU and wrote some code in Mathematica.  The idea is to print the grid, thermoform, scan the formed object from above, and compute the anti-distortion.  That is then used to distort the original graphic.  Even using commercial software, it is an iterative process, and usually takes a few tries before the distortion is exact.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Did you succeed to find a solution ?

I have a similar problem on a different object and I need to find a method to handle it.

I noticed you seemed to use blender. 

My idea was to 3d scan the object with the photos projected on it.

Then I would like to make a new simple object based on the 3d scan. This new object will be made of quads, the same quads of the printed grid.

I was thinking to use blender to do it. But my first concern is to know if it possible to have a uv parameterisation that matches the printed quads.

My second concern is about finding a tool/software that will help me to apply some transformations on the image I want to modify before the print and some tips how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote a program in Mathematica that was able to do what I wanted. Never tried it. Need overhead scanner, laser printer, laser transfer paper, heat press, and thermoformer. Lab access was restricted during pandemic; will try this spring to get it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Howard, hi Robert,

I came to your discussion during my search, as I am looking for a similar solution. Is it possible to share your solution? I don't know Mathematica, but I could familiarise myself with it. I would be pleased to receive a reaction from both of you if you have made any progress here.

Best Regards

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2023 Dec 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, was wondering if you ever got anywhere with this....?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines