• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do I need more storage or memory to run photoshop and lightroom on my imac?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an imac with 

3.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 Mac contains 4 memory slots, each of which accepts
a 1600 MHz DDR3 memory module 2 memory slots in use, 2 available. When I run photoshop and lightroom to edit my raw bracketed photos for HDR- it takes forever! i have 1.23 T available in storage. should I pay the money for two more memory modules? i purchased this computer in 2015. maybe its just too old Thanks for any help/advice

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8GB is woefully inadequate for any serious work.  But it's not likely such an old computer can be made to fly. Depends on your budget, more RAM will certainly help, and it's much cheaper than when the machine was new. You say "two more memory modules" though as if you don't care what size they are! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply. It's not that i don't care what size they are, I'm ignorant to the fact that there were different sizes! Honestly just copied and pasted what my computer had without knowing what the heck it is...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screen shot of your ABOUT THIS MAC box (apple menu). The info there could let us tell you your choices. There is a huge difference between Mac models even 6 months apart, so the details are very important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, it is the mid 2015 Retina 5K, 27-inch I've watched a few videos and am pretty confident I can replace the cartridges easily! Thanks for all of your help! (I'll be back if theres a problem!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your iMac a 2015 and with a  21.5-inch or 27-inch screen?

While more memory would certainly help, the 27 " iMac is easy to add/replace memory (door on back) while the 2015 21 " model has soldered ram which is not user replaceable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

27 inch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea the cost of more memory- off the cuff?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also if your iMac has just a regular spinning HDD, replacing it with a ssd would make a huge difference as well, however, on both iMacs that's an involved process that requires removing the screen.

It's not a hard job and there are plenty of videos showing how, but it can be depending on your computer repair skills.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines