• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dodge/Burn exposure setting - Shortcut Keys?

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2022 Oct 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m programming my Xeneclab Quick Keys device and need a shortcut key to enter the "exposure" field of dodge/burn. 

Or even if I can get into the "brush angle" field, I can then shift-tab back to the exposure field. 

Does anyone know how I might do this?  

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

On a traditional keyboard all one has to do is hit the Enter/Return key to highlight the Exposure field with Burn/Dodge Tools.

Don't know if your device has that ability to mimic the Enter/Return key or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2022 Oct 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless the device is able to emulate a mouse-click that activates one of those fields I don't think it's possible. Those controls are contextual and the up/ down keys to change values only work when the tool is active and the input field is active. For most tools you can directly type in values into whatever is their default active parameter field, though, so perhaps make it a habit to do it that way.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the response Mylenium, I was thinking exactly as you were. But Jeff suggested that after I select the dodge or burn key, I simply hit "enter." And it worked.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software of such keyboards rarely allows you to realize all your desires, so third-party software and various tricks are indispensable (I write as someone who has been using the XK-12 Jog & Shuttle for about 10 years). 

xk12-jog-unit.jpg

 

You can write a script that will iteratively increase or decrease the exposure value (the script can be hung on a hot key in Photoshop and activated from the keyboard)

/**
 * increase exposure value:
- regular launch +1%
- launch with the shift pressed + 10%
 */
#target photoshop;
var s2t = stringIDToTypeID,
    t2s = typeIDToStringID;
(r = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), p = s2t('tool'));
r.putEnumerated(s2t('application'), s2t('ordinal'), s2t('targetEnum'));
var tool = executeActionGet(r);
var t = t2s(tool.getEnumerationType(s2t('tool')));
if (t == 'burnInTool' || t == 'dodgeTool') {
    var cur = tool.getObjectValue(s2t('currentToolOptions')).getInteger(p = s2t('exposure'));;
    (d = new ActionDescriptor()).putInteger(p, ScriptUI.environment.keyboardState.shiftKey ? (cur + 10 > 100 ? 100 : cur + 10) : (cur + 1 > 100 ? 100 : cur + 1));
    d.putBoolean(s2t('useScatter'), tool.getObjectValue(s2t('currentToolOptions')).getBoolean(s2t('useScatter')));
    (r = new ActionReference()).putClass(s2t(t));
    (d1 = new ActionDescriptor()).putReference(s2t('target'), r);
    d1.putObject(s2t('to'), s2t('target'), d);
    executeAction(s2t('set'), d1, DialogModes.NO);
}

/**
 * decrease exposure value:
- regular launch -1%
- launch with the shift pressed -10%
 */
#target photoshop;
var s2t = stringIDToTypeID,
    t2s = typeIDToStringID;
(r = new ActionReference()).putProperty(s2t('property'), p = s2t('tool'));
r.putEnumerated(s2t('application'), s2t('ordinal'), s2t('targetEnum'));
var tool = executeActionGet(r);
var t = t2s(tool.getEnumerationType(s2t('tool')));
if (t == 'burnInTool' || t == 'dodgeTool') {
    var cur = tool.getObjectValue(s2t('currentToolOptions')).getInteger(p = s2t('exposure'));;
    (d = new ActionDescriptor()).putInteger(p, ScriptUI.environment.keyboardState.shiftKey ? (cur - 10 < 1 ? 1 : cur - 10) : (cur - 1 < 1 ? 1 : cur - 1));
    d.putBoolean(s2t('useScatter'), tool.getObjectValue(s2t('currentToolOptions')).getBoolean(s2t('useScatter')));
    (r = new ActionReference()).putClass(s2t(t));
    (d1 = new ActionDescriptor()).putReference(s2t('target'), r);
    d1.putObject(s2t('to'), s2t('target'), d);
    executeAction(s2t('set'), d1, DialogModes.NO);
}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jazz-y, I was thinking of going down that route, but then Jeff suggest I just hit "enter" after selecting either the dodge or burn tool. It works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a traditional keyboard all one has to do is hit the Enter/Return key to highlight the Exposure field with Burn/Dodge Tools.

Don't know if your device has that ability to mimic the Enter/Return key or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried EVERYTHING except the simple and obvious. That worked Jeff, and it's such a simple solution.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines