• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does Photoshop secretly scan your images?

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded this image from Adobe Stock ( File #:  329573176 ), now Adobe Photoshop will not let me open it. It gives me an error message:

"This application does not support the editing of banknote images. For more information, select the information button below for internet-based information on restrictions for copying and distibuting banknote images or go to www.rulesforuse.org."

This is an odd message considering this image was already manipulated and it's being distributed by Adobe. Another question that arises from this... does Adobe Photoshop secretly scan every image you open?

Screen Shot 2020-09-08 at 8.42.01 AM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Hi

Adobe Photoshop includes a counterfeit deterrence system (CDS) that prevents the use of the product to illegally duplicate banknotes. Details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/cds.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Adobe Photoshop includes a counterfeit deterrence system (CDS) that prevents the use of the product to illegally duplicate banknotes. Details here:

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane is correct, but it does seem odd that you download this from Adobe Stock, but can't use it. You would think that they would have screened for that when accepting the image. There are some work arounds, but you will have to Google them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, Chuck, and have posted on the Adobe Stock forum.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep us posted on this, as seems unfair to purchase an image with a pink background, and to not be able to edit. Atleast if was posted as a .png with transparent the image might have some usefullness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into a similar issue. A few engineers sent me an image of an electrical unit they made and held up half of a dollar bill for scale. I couldn't open the image. Some printers, I've heard also has the ability to detect currency and won't print.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a stock image of money in a bucket and psd wouldn't open it due to counterfeit rules? Can this be turned off? As long as the image is turned, curved, folded, otherwise obstructed, why can't we use it? 

I worked around it but it was annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no getting around this. You will need to find another inaccurate image to allow Photoshop or other items to utilize this. Scanners, digital printers, etc. will all shut down and not allow any current monetary note with certain elements to be used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So if Im making a chart of money falling, I can no longer do that? Thats nuts. That means I can't update any of my Finacial graphs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2021 Dec 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@NJ Art wrote:

That means I can't update any of my Finacial graphs. 

The counterfeit deterrence system in Photoshop is not new, nor was it created by Adobe. Might I ask when you last updated your financial graphs using Photoshop?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, It's very concerning that Adobe now decide what work you can open and what work they wont let you open- This is a photograph for a client, when i try to open it Photoshop will not allow it and gives me a message "this application does not support the printing of banknotes" How dare Adobe interfere with work that is solely the business of myself and my client. What will they next be deeming inappropriate to openScreenshot 2021-12-15 at 11.04.49 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This "feature" was added many years ago (2004 or earlier). The feature was not added by "user request" though.

EDIT:

Counterfit deterrant measures are not unique to Photoshop:

http://seeingyellow.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe don't decide it, the central banks do.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe now decide

As others have said, central banks decided in 2004, not Adobe.

"The CDS technology was commissioned by the Central Bank Counterfeit Deterrence Group (CBCDG), a consortium of central banks from around the world. Adobe has included CDS in Photoshop at the request of the CBCDG."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a way not to display this warning?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2018 Feb 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the image.

What is the image format?

Can you try saving it as psd in another application?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the image contain a bunch of circular shapes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. The image contains money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file format?

Can you open it with Preview (if you work on a Mac), save as a psd and try to open that with Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The file format is jpg.

We are currently developing and using automation plug-ins. I have a problem when I get an image that contains money. When I try to process an image that contains money, the plugin is forced to stop.

Is there a way to filter images that contain money?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose one could do a »pre-run« with the opening in a try-clause, but that is probably too crude an approach for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2022 Dec 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes! Thank you, that worked for me. My photo wasn't even something that seemed relevant to counterfeiting. Super annoying to have to deal with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2021 Dec 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then Photoshop need to seriously improve their code so that this feature makes any sense. I cannot open the below image in Photoshop because it contains bills, even though you can see at most like 25% of each bill.

frugal-flyer-2s_2FrqXLUM-unsplash (1).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines