• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dragged/copy-pasted web items end up being lighter than dragged saved ones?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason when I drag a photo from the web (jpeg, png, etc), it ends up being lighter than an image that was saved on the computer and imported from there. I'm not sure if this was always I thing, but I've noticed it recently and it's rather annoying.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 3.20.48 PM.png

 Image on the right was dragged from an internet page. Image on the left was saved to computer and dragged from there.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are dealing with ICC profile mismatch.

Depending on how you've set up your PS Colour Settings on how to handle Profiles, you can very well get different results.

For instance, When you save the file, it may have a particular ICC profile attached to it which Photsohop honours when you open it if "Preserve RGB Profiles" in enabled. However, when you drag/copy/paste, the ICC profile may not necessarily come for the ride, so PS is assigning the document's current space.

If you have warnings turned off, as in my attached sample, you may not realize this is happening.

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 2.34.31 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is that section under in preferences? Also another interesting thing, is that when I screenshot the image instead of dragging it from the web, the colors are the same as they were seen online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what is the way to fix this, if possible? I very, very rarely alter the color settings. In fact, this problem just popped up recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree. However, smart objects (which are created when you drag and drop a file) have certain problems - the profile mismatch warning is not shown even if all warnings are enabled (since a smart object is essentially a file embedded in a document, the color space of which may differ from the working one) . To get a warning and decide how to convert colors, we need to open this smart object after dragging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Once I actually opened the smart object, the colors were as they originally were. Now how to get them to look like they should in the main document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nevermind, I was looking at the wrong one....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, the smart object was the one saved on the computer that I dragged from the desktop to Photoshop. The pic dragged directly from the internet was created as its own layer ("Layer 3" in the photo) and is the lighter one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to the menu edit -> color settings and turn on all the checkboxes for color profile mismatch warnings - this will allow you to receive color profile mismatch warnings both when working with smart objects and with ordinary layers. After that, drag the file and open the resulting Smart Object. If you see a warning about a missing profile, then select one of the conversion options (the correct option in most cases will be "assign workspace profile"). Close the smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of all of that. But I have no problem dragging items that's saved on the computer then dragged into Photoshop. Even when they're smart objects, the colors are the same throughout. I'm talking about items being dragged directly from internet pages and how they keep showing up lighter than they really are even than on the internet.

For example, the picture on the right is lighter than not only the true colors on the left in Photoshop,

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 3.20.48 PM.png

 but also on the internet.

Colormismatchadobe.jpg

 

I've messed with the Assign Color Profile options and such, and there was no issue except with photos dragged from internet pages directly into Photoshop. They do not become Smart Objects, but rather normal numbered layers and their colors are lighter than they're supposed to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I repeated your steps on my computer and got the same result.

Most likely, the problem here is what exactly your browser uses as a working color space and how it performs color transformations inside it.

Not so long ago we discussed a similar topic Photoshop Proof Colors: sRGB vs Monitor. There are several pages, but you may find useful information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"and there was no issue except with photos dragged from internet pages directly into Photoshop"

First of all, stop doing this. this is not a reliable workflow in any way.

Regardless: let's start here. OPEN the file you saved to the computer. In the bottom left corner, select Document Profile so you can see what the current profile is for this image. In my example, it's Untagged, so it's probably not being color managed at all (If you open Assign Profile, you may see this. Untagged images tend to assume the Working RGB you have assigned in your Color Settings (usually sRGB).

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 12.12.57 AM.png

 

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 12.13.21 AM.png

 

However, the very same photo "dragged" (which is actually a copy and paste operation) from Firefox comes in with the profile "Generic RGB", and is lighter. For comparison, the same photo dragged from Safari comes in as "sRGB..." and looks fine. This is a browser issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines