• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dragging a New Guide on a White Background

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm baffled by a recent change in the color of a new guide as it is being dragged from a ruler. It's a dotted white line which is invisible against a white background in product shots, for example.

I thought the Guides, Grid & Slices preferences would let me change this to the actual Guide color (a light blue, as always) but nothing I do there affects the color of the guide being dragged.

I would prefer the dragged guide was not white, obviously, but the same color as the fixed guide. As it used to be, in short. How can I get there from here? TIA

(Photoshop 21.2.4)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your guides should be this blue-green colour as they have always been. I just tried it on mine (also running 21.2.4) and it works fine.

Have you tried resetting your preferences? It looks like a bug.

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did try resetting the preferences but it had no effect on the guide color as it is being dragged. Thanks for the thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered the same problem on my MacPro [Mid 2010; High Sierra10.13.6] with Photoshop 21.2.5. A white dotted line when dragging. It can be seen clearly against a black background.

On my MacBook Pro however the guides are a black line and not dotted while dragging on a white background.

When I change the background to black the guides are white while dragging

[Photoshop 22.1.1, Macbook mid 2015; Mojave 10.14.6]

Very strange...

I think Photoshop should change the colour of guides beiing dragged in the most contrasting colour - black or white - automaticaly [and not dotted]. On my MacPro it doesn't work properly.

Adobe should react adequately on this problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming, Peter.

On both a 2010 17-inch and 2011 13-inch MacBook Pro both running macOS from High Sierra to Mojave and with all recent versions of Photoshop, the problem persists. It's a change in behavior from earlier versions that worked well, using a bright blue guideline visible against dark or light backgrounds.

Guess Adobe needs another round of Just Do It days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After looking at this, it's best to go here: https://feedback.photoshop.com/ and file it as a problem. The product managers do listen and answer on that forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I've just done that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a Mac-only issue? I'm running Windows 10 and don't see any issues with guides; they appear as they should.

(I mean, it wouldn't shock me; those drivers Apple are putting out are abysmal based upon what I've been seeing here.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's a Mac issue. On my two laptops whose GPUs used to be supported but no longer are. That's all I can confirm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 26, 2021 May 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checked - that's what they look like on my old iMac running Catalina - yuck and weird. 

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem. 27" iMac Late 2013, with Photoshop 22.4.1.

When dragging/placing a guide on a white background the line is invisible. I cannot tell where to place the guide. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the guide turn invisible once it hits the document? It should be a gray color of some sort no matter what canvas background color is chosen.

I'm thinking this is display driver-related. (And being a model from 2013, my hopes aren't too high of an available update.) Out of curiosity, if you turn GPU accleration off (via Photoshop > Preferences > Performance on the menu bar), does the problem go away? (Note that using un-accelerated guides becomes a lot more harder to see as you place them; the guide doesn't really appear until it hits the document and even then it's a teensy-tiny broken line until you let go.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it gains color only after it is placed. If i try to replace/move a guide it becomes invisible during the operation. I mean it is visible on a colored background but the line becomes white dots.

I checked my GPU is not available on Preferences/Performance. It is greyed out. 

Also i was having a support conversation during writing this. Support stuff suggested to downgrade PS to 21.2.8 😞 I will try and report back if it works.

@War Unicorn Thanks for reply by the way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that downgrading PS to 21.2.8 (as Adobe support suggested) has solved the problem. But now i'm using a very old PS version, which is a sad trade-off 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading your responses, I forgot to ask if your GPU was even enabled.

What's going to make this more complicated is that 21.2.8 is going to eventually disappear; Adobe keeps the last 8 or 9 versions available in Creative Cloud and pushes off the oldest as new versions come out.

I always tell people concerning tech (especially computer tech): Don't rely on it for so many years. Upgrade if you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My gpu is not supported anymore, so no, not enabled.

On the other side upgrading is not an option for me, i use a 27" 2013 iMac, which is 8 years old now. It's old tech i know that. In order to upgrade my gpu/computer i have to replace it alltogether. And pricing in my country and USD exchange rates makes this jump impossible for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there a fix to this?  I just updated and I'm having this issue.  It's absolutely making me nuts and makes it impossible to work.  I don't see on here that anyone seemed to find a solution and it's November 2021 now.  Thanks so much for any help you can throw my way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there was never a fix. Still waiting for one of the Just Do It days at Adobe where something as maddeningly ridiculous as this gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a workaround, try adding a layer, fill it with black, reduce the opacity of the layer so you can see what you need and pull the white guides into position. Then just delete the gray layer. The guides will be where you want them. And in color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that was going to be my last ditch fix for this.  I rolled my version back but appraantly 22.5.2 is not far back enough to fix the issue.  I guess it is just their way of forcing us to buy a newer computer (screams).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just wrote this up for Photo Corners as  Working Around Photoshop's Guide on White Problem and added a free action to create the overlay for download there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, sorry to say that but there is no fix other than rolling back to a previous version (like PS 20). Also i do not think that adobe is woking on a fix. They seem to be ditched older hardware. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines