• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Drop jpg on alias Photoshop in Finder sidebar

New Here ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an alias of Photoshop in the navigation column in the Finder on my Mac. I am used to drag-n-drop a jpg-file on this alias, to open this jpg using Photoshop.

However, since upgrading to Ventura this does not work anymore.

When dragging the file to this alias (Photoshop 2023 latest version) there is a grey forbidden-sign and it doesn't work.

It works if I drag-n-drop the file on the Photoshop-icon in the dock.

Is there a way to get this to work again with the Photoshop-icon in the navigation-column in the Finder?

[Edit from moderator: changed subject from "navigation column" to "Finder sidebar" for clarity]

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I learned after posting that in English this is called: Finder sidebar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure about Ventura.

I used to add an icon to the toolbar at the top. You can also right-click and open into an installed app or just set the version of Photoshop as the default for a specific file type.

EDIT – Here it is in the toolbar, just right-click to customise the toolbar and drag-n-drop the app icon:

toolbar.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for alternative actions (right-click, default app). I do know these actions and use them when necessary.

In this case, I really like the drag-n-drop of a file onto the alias in the Finder sidebar and would like it to work again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try trashing the old Adobe Photoshop 2023.app alias and adding a new one?

Remember to hold down the Cmd key while dragging the Adobe Photoshop 2023.app

to the sidebar to create the alias.

It works here on a 2022 Mac Studio running macOS Ventura 13.3.1a and Photoshop 2023 (ps ver 24.4.1)

dragdrop.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2023 May 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I include a gif into my reply? Not as an attachment? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2023 May 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot, at least in Ventura, make an alias of the Photoshop application and use it on the Finder sidebar, then drag and drop supported documents onto that alias. This is totally an Apple issue (restriction). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this be a bit iffy? Because Jeff Arola clearly demonstates in his gif that it stil works with his Ventura?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you go to Apple>System Settings>Privacy & Security>Full Disk Access and

add the Adobe Photoshop 2023.app, does that make any difference?

To add a Gif click on the Insert Photos button.

iph.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines