Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Duplicate Layer to New Document is Rasterizing Smart Objects

Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2019 Feb 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can some others test for me?

I have a PSD file with a Smart Object that is from a RAW file. (RAW file opened as Smart Object in PS)

In PS, When I right click on that layer and choose Duplicate Layer with the option to send to a New Document it is rasterizing my Smart Object nested RAW layer into a regular background layer.

I'm on a Macbook Pro

Adobe Photoshop CC 20.0.3

No previous versions installed.

Can you recreate on your machine?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problen here with Win 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing happens on my machine.

Macbook Pro

Photoshop 20.0.3

macOS Mojave 10.14.3

I have never performed that sequence of steps before so I don't know if this is old or new behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I just went through and the same thing happens to me. I will report the glitch but I also found a work around.

When I get the issue, it's when I have the smart object as the only layer in the project. Duplicate to a new project and it's rasterized.

Work around: Duplicate the layer with a CMD+J or create a solid color layer or just a blank layer with nothing in it. Make the new layer the background and make the one you want to duplicate become the second layer. Now duplicate. it should work fine.

DOES NOT WORK

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 6.36.36 PM.png

WORKS FINE

Screen Shot 2019-02-28 at 6.37.00 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines