• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamicly calculating live mask from selected layer comp result

Enthusiast ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A layer mask that is being calculated live on the fly  based on  linked   layercomp result .

I know it's somewat possible with clipping groups and smart objects  but it require so  complicated  layer stack it's super inconvenient .  Besides it would be impossible  to aply to a group itself.  

Using any chosen  layercomp we could possibly link  to any mask     would be so much more elegant solution imo.   

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please elaborate and post meaningful screenshots that include all the pertinent Panels. 

Besides it would be impossible  to aply to a group itself.  

One can use Knockout (Advanced Blending). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is small example psd . It has a clipping group  named "depth combine mask"

And I have a copy of this  same group  I saved as a layer comps " depth combine mask2.

What I offer is  having just a regular  mask  for a layer or group  having in their properties  panel  not just invert  button and feather slider  but also a dropdown  list of layercomps so I could just select  layercomp "depth combine2"  and  have a dynamicly calculating mask  based on the layercomp  result.

Kind of similar to anchors  from Substance Painter but better.  ( I couldn't find a thing with those anchors either)

It would be so much more convenient than those super complicated  groups and knockouts. I often couldn't understand a thing  in my own files.  And after all nothing really new is necessary. Just an interface  feature.

It just a simple  example  but having such feature  not just for masks  but for  "virtual layers" of a sort  could make Photoshop rival any node based solution.    A layer  that rasterises on the fly  certain layercomp I mean 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2022 Dec 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And after all nothing really new is necessary. Just an interface  feature.

I suspect you might understand Photoshop less well than you think. 

But quite frankly I don’t understand your file because the Smart Objects »DepthGrab01 copy 2«, »tm_curb8b_output copy 3«, »DepthGrab01cube2 copy 2« do not seem to feature Layer Comps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't have layer comps  because   what I suggested had  sort of another point.

I suggested   replacing  the hole "depth combine  mask"  group  working as a clipping one  currently       to simply a general "dynamic" mask  for any group or layer    that would be rasterizing on the fly  "depth combine mask2"  group  saved as a layer comps.

A mask with its own stack  saved as a layercomp.     So the mask properties would just have a link to that layercomp  in a drop down.    Actually not only mask but any layer too    that could be a rasterized sum  of any layercomp in very same document  , just hiden  or moved to the bottom for example.

That way we could have an easy to read and elegant looking layer stack   on top of  many layers currently hidden  while  involved in final calcualtion and residing  somewhere in the bottom . Still  working live  without necessety to save  changes inside smart objects.

I do believe it could be just interface thing  like edding  dropdown list to any layer or mask properties .   Sort of live rasterization  to pixels  of what we alredy have in different parts of a stack.

The clipping groups are not very easy to read and manage  and using layercmps would be  so much easier just because a sort of compartmentalization   it may be.    The whole clipping groups idea  imo  while actually working  turns psd files into so undeciferable mess  I couldn't understand a thing in my own files after a week.  So no wonder you don't too.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You have also raised this as an idea

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-ideas/layers-and-masks-that-rasterizes-chosen-lay...

I'll lock this thread to avoid duplicate discussion

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines