Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers

Dynamicly calculating live mask from selected layer comp result

Contributor ,
Oct 28, 2022 Oct 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A layer mask that is being calculated live on the fly  based on  linked   layercomp result .

I know it's somewat possible with clipping groups and smart objects  but it require so  complicated  layer stack it's super inconvenient .  Besides it would be impossible  to aply to a group itself.  

Using any chosen  layercomp we could possibly link  to any mask     would be so much more elegant solution imo.   

TOPICS
Cross-app workflows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please elaborate and post meaningful screenshots that include all the pertinent Panels. 

Besides it would be impossible  to aply to a group itself.  

One can use Knockout (Advanced Blending). 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2022 Nov 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is small example psd . It has a clipping group  named "depth combine mask"

And I have a copy of this  same group  I saved as a layer comps " depth combine mask2.

What I offer is  having just a regular  mask  for a layer or group  having in their properties  panel  not just invert  button and feather slider  but also a dropdown  list of layercomps so I could just select  layercomp "depth combine2"  and  have a dynamicly calculating mask  based on the layercomp  result.

Kind of similar to anchors  from Substance Painter but better.  ( I couldn't find a thing with those anchors either)

It would be so much more convenient than those super complicated  groups and knockouts. I often couldn't understand a thing  in my own files.  And after all nothing really new is necessary. Just an interface  feature.

It just a simple  example  but having such feature  not just for masks  but for  "virtual layers" of a sort  could make Photoshop rival any node based solution.    A layer  that rasterises on the fly  certain layercomp I mean 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines