Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing gold jewelry

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2022 Nov 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I am running into some issues when trying to edit gold jewelry. Although I am editing a solid gold product, the photo has a brassy, greenish tinge to it and I was wondering how I could correct that.

I have looked up many tutorials however, all of them for the most part cut the ring out of the background and edit change its color. I wanted a more "natural" feeling rather than an amazon jewelry display.

If possible I would to achieve the creamy-colored background and gold finish look of this example from Cartier. 

I would appreciate any advice on this!

Bracelet exerpt.jpg

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the image, or part of the image, that you are trying to correct?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @lvmonti 

That's probably not what you want to hear.

But: Have you tried to take a better picture with higher resolution under better lighting conditions with another camera? That would probably save you some post-processing in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2022 Nov 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with @pixxxelschubser on this one. You need much better quality photos in the first place. Your image has massive compression artifacts which will make even a basic Hue/ Saturation adjustment bleed into the background. In your case a selective adjustment and removing some of the Cyans and Blacks would probably be required, but it will also change the grey. The Cartier example is completely fake on the other hand. You can literally see how the replaced the reflections with gradients and smoothed out the rest with blurs and brushes. That may have taken some poor sap two days just for this set of photos until they were polished. For my taste the gold is too brown and looks like cheap "Russian Gold" with lots of copper in it, though.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the others said. This isn't done with Photoshop; this is done with lighting.

To get perfectly neutral and diffused light, and a clean white backdrop, you use a light tent with backlight:

flash_06.jpg

Then you get something like this:

spenne.jpg

However, if you really want to show the gold/silver shiny surface, you need controlled reflections, and a play of light and dark. This can be done with large softboxes.

skje.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, based on your submission you could achieve something like the screenshot attached with Photoshop. I used a combination of the following Image Adjustment methods:

• Curves
  • Levels
  • Color Balance (all tones into warmer toning = +yellow, +red, +magenta)

As others already said, it’s much better and easier to shoot it under better circumstances with the most important thing to have a soft box (soft light, no hard/direct light) for jewelry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines