• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Embedding Color Profile into Script ?

Advisor ,
Oct 02, 2011 Oct 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to embedded a color profile into a script and run the script would change the color profile.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,
Oct 22, 2011 Oct 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assigning a Color Profile from a Script

The goal is save a custom ICC profile as a script.  Load this profile which is a script , no dependence on manually assigning the profile to the composition, speeding up workflow. Executing the script assigns the color profile to the composition, it does not convert the color profile that remains the same, for now.

Loading and Saving Brushes & Brush ToolSets

When I want to save a Brush or Tool Preset to the script (menu) I am given the option on wheather I want to save the Brush / Tool Set Preset to the location that photoshop would normally save the Brush / Tool Set Preset or to the menu. If the menu is choosen the Brush / Tool Set Preset would appear and a icon representing the Brush or the Tool Set Preset in which the preset was saved with.  Selecting the brush icon you could delete the brush if needed, all the brushes and tool set presets are saved in the script, they are not loaded externally from within a folder they are all saved in the script.  Re-locating or moving the menu to another computer keeps things organized without having to search for the brushes from photoshop and then copy and paste, this makes moving the custom photoshop workflow to another computer painless and your desired brushes and tool presets follow you no worry of loss if PC failure / photoshop re-install etc.

I want to make this all a reality, if there are things that may have to be changed or routed differently please explain so it can be compleated, as I look forward to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Oct 24, 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I get help getting both of these completed within a week as I need to complete my menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 20, 2023 Mar 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey StrongBeaver,

short question, have you ever found a solution for applying a colour profile to a file via script (even if the profile is not installed on the system).

I'm currently searching for the same script.

Woukd be nice if you could share your experiences.

regards Dominic

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking proper ICC Profiles or the essentially (edited) obsolete »Custom RGB« and »Custom CMYK«? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to asign always changing specific ICC profiles, which are not intsalled on macOS. we are also using a automation system which can write dynamic script. The system knows which ICC profle needs to be applied to the file, while the ICC is available on a public network share. So now the idea would be to create a dynamic script which is opening the image file in PS, and applying (not converting) the ICC to the file and save the image again with a different name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2023 Mar 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don’t you install the profile on all involved computers?

(If the volume with the profile is available on all computers it might be possible to do this via a Script, too.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

we have always changing profiles, hundreds and always new profiles are added. Also I would like to avoid messing the systems with all those profiles. also plenty of workstations are involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have changing profiles wouldn’t you need to update the Script on all computers, too? 

Or do you change the profiles but keep the same names? 

What is the aim of this process anyway? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes correct, our automation system would always write a specif script for the particular file and profile which needs to be attached. the idea is to avoid mistakes done by the people asigning the profiles and avoiding time to search and install the needed profiles to be able to asign the nedded profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The process seems mystifying to me. 

Why would you use »temporary« ICC Profiles? 

New Color Spaces may naturally be introduced but in proper Color Management an ICC Profile should not change over time. 

Otherwise two images with the »same« profile may actually have differing Color Spaces. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What profiles?

RGB?

Matrix or table based?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

somehow funny that we are speaking mainly about what and why and where, but somehow the root issue and quetsion is not solved 😉

for sure you like to understand the background, to potentially also offer a "workarround", but it seems that noone is able to tell, if I could somehow solve my challange.

the profiles are CMYK profile, mainly provided by different print suppliers, some are also created by ourselves. We are normally not assigning the profiles to our image files, as our CM workflow does handle the CM fully automated by usage of colour information from our ERP. Anyhow some clients demand to have the printer specific profile assigned to the image files as soon as we deliver them to the client.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the »root issue« seems nonsensical there just might not be a solution. 

(Edit: Though me not seeing a solution certainly doesn’t mean someone else might not recognize one.) 

I suspect you need to copy the ICC Profiles to the computers, but a Script might be able to handle that. 

»We are normally not assigning the profiles to our image files«

Are you saying that you work with unprofiled images in Photoshop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were told several ways to assign or convert with profiles using automation/scripts.

One should never assign a CMYK profile blindly in this fashion. The client needs basic CMS education.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok great - thank you all so much for your great support.

Let's close this topic 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok great - thank you all so much for your great support.

Let's close this topic 😉

By @DominicLampert

That would be the OP (StrongBeavers) call to make. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly to me it seems Color Management-wise bizzare that you work with unprofiled images, maybe you could explain the process in a way that makes sense to people that are not familiar with your workflow. 

What does ERP stand for here? 

As you mentioned »assign« you apparently don’t convert, so when and how would the profiles be involved? 

How would the Script determine which ICC Profile to use on a specific image? 

What are the file-output needs? 

What is the actual set-up of Files, profiles, …? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I "successfully" ran the code to convert an ICC profile to binary data, however, the script to convert the binary to an ICC profile resulted in a file that couldn't be opened/recognised by ICC software. So a dead end for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So now the idea would be to create a dynamic script which is opening the image file in PS, and applying (not converting) the ICC to the file and save the image again with a different name.

Hi @DominicLampert , The Photoshop API includes the document property .colorProfileName, for assigning a profile to the document, which the posts from 2011 seemed to have missed. The .colorProfileName property expects a string (not a color profile), but the string has to reference the exact name of an installed profile, or you will get a dialog asking you to find the profile if the script allows all dialogs, or an error if it doesn’t.

Even if you could use any string without creating an error, certainly there would be problems downstream. How would the profile be embedded on the save if it doesn’t exist? And is the image being placed in an InDesign page layout? What if the ID document’s saved CMYK policy is set to Off, or Preserve Numbers (Ignore linked Profiles)? In those cases the CMYK file would get either the Working CMYK Space assigned when the Policy is Off, or the document’s CMYK profile assignment when the policy is Preserve Numbers—both could be anything depending on how the document was created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are on a Mac, you can do this in a minute using Automator. You can make a Folder Action, or a script, or anything Automator supports. 

Automater.png

If you're on a Mac, look into Hazel which can do this as well, but in a more robust fashion:

https://www.noodlesoft.com/support/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What and where are all these hundreds of profiles originating from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines