Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enhance scratches on stone surfaces

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I hope I am in the correct forum for this.

I am researching medieval graffiti and I need to enhance some photo that show some graffiti, however I don't seem to be able to really bring out the scratches. I have tried brightness/contrast, black&white, and various sharpens but nothing seems to help. The scratches are whiter than the stone, but the stone can be various shades of cream/grey/black. Can anyone give me some tips for this? This is an example of one of the worse ones...

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is almost impossible to bring details back if the source contains no data. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this to discover the graffiti (research)? To support research? Or to present a photo that shows the graffiti more clearly to a general audience?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thanks for your reply. It is to show more clearly what most certainly is there

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2021 Aug 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The question is - are they your own photos? In that case, this is done with lighting. Go back and do it over.

If you have to work with other people's (poor) photos, there simply is no magic trick to this. You need to think differently. Start by setting the black and white endpoints to bring it up to full dynamic range. Even out the lighting with soft-masked adjustment layers. 

That's just to get a workable baseline image. Next, identify the features in question. If you can't see it, it's not there, and no tricks can bring out something that isn't there to begin with.

If this is getting you anywhere, make selections. That's something Photoshop can work with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines