• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Erase background on car images?

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an inexperienced user who needs to remove backgrounds from race cars for our foundation fundraiser event posters. We raise money for kids fighting cancer. I have a macos Catalina vs 10.15.7.  Am frustrated that I cannot seem to master the tools in photoshop to do the car edges well.  I feel like I would have better control using a pen or stylus, but I know nothing about these either.  Would appreciate your help.  Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 4 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2021 Apr 18, 2021

For selections with hard solid edges the best tool is the pen tool. Use it to create a path around the car, then make a vector mask from that path.

The pen tool can seem a little tricky to learn at first, but it is well worth the practice as nothing makes a crisp selection quite like it. https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/drawing-pen-tools.html

Note - the pen tool is a Photoshop tool and has nothing to do with a pen and stylus and I actually find it easier to create pen paths with a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Best is to use the pen tool for selection if you want to achieve a perfect selection. Use the pen tool as a path and convert to Selection. I will also go with the select and mask and see where you have mistakes.

https://www.behance.net/videos/c87887f6-8f0b-4c38-b9c5-aa7982495e3f/Vector-Tools-in-Adobe-Photoshop-Part-II

Votes

Translate

Translate

There are many good tutorials on the web for learning how to use Photoshop.   I have  a few hint that may help.   You do not want to use the new trace pen tool.  I do not know why Adobe  even release it.   For best results you want to create paths that have the fewest amount of control points as possible. To start with it is often easier to start by quickly drawing out straight line path around an a object with the pen tool then switch to the curvature pen tool  to edit the  the crude path you c

Votes

Translate

Translate

The absolute best series of videos on using the pen tool are by Mike Hoffman, who sometimes posts to this forum.  There are five videos all together, and you'll find the others linked from part #1 below.  There is a learning curve for sure, but it is an important skill to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For selections with hard solid edges the best tool is the pen tool. Use it to create a path around the car, then make a vector mask from that path.

The pen tool can seem a little tricky to learn at first, but it is well worth the practice as nothing makes a crisp selection quite like it. https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/photoshop/using/drawing-pen-tools.html

Note - the pen tool is a Photoshop tool and has nothing to do with a pen and stylus and I actually find it easier to create pen paths with a mouse.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2021 Apr 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  I will keep trying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2022 Apr 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the suggestion. I will use it in my routine work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best is to use the pen tool for selection if you want to achieve a perfect selection. Use the pen tool as a path and convert to Selection. I will also go with the select and mask and see where you have mistakes.

https://www.behance.net/videos/c87887f6-8f0b-4c38-b9c5-aa7982495e3f/Vector-Tools-in-Adobe-Photoshop-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for you help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many good tutorials on the web for learning how to use Photoshop.   I have  a few hint that may help.   You do not want to use the new trace pen tool.  I do not know why Adobe  even release it.   For best results you want to create paths that have the fewest amount of control points as possible. To start with it is often easier to start by quickly drawing out straight line path around an a object with the pen tool then switch to the curvature pen tool  to edit the  the crude path you created around the object.  Learn how you can edit control points with the vector tools. Add move delete convert adjust them. Paths are easy to edit once you know how to. Closed path can be combine several ways learn how  you set and change the way paths combine, to make the shapes you want.  Learn how to use Photoshop's vector tools it well worth the effort.

Capture.jpg

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try this!  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The absolute best series of videos on using the pen tool are by Mike Hoffman, who sometimes posts to this forum.  There are five videos all together, and you'll find the others linked from part #1 below.  There is a learning curve for sure, but it is an important skill to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link.  I will definitely watch this. I have spent so many hours trying to find the right video!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for Update

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am an inexperienced user who needs to remove backgrounds from race cars for our foundation fundraiser event posters. We raise money for kids fighting cancer. I have a macos Catalina vs 10.15.7. Am frustrated that I cannot seem to master the tools in photoshop to do the car edges well. I feel like I would have better control using a pen or stylus, but I know nothing about these either. Would appreciate your help. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i like your discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This 12 month old thread has recently had many (now deleted) spam reply messages. To prevent this - I've locked it. Please raise a new question if you have a similar issue that is not answered by the current replies.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines